Mini Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the grains in your bag are packed tight, I'd sparge through a strainer. I have a very large bag I use for mini-mashes and adding fruit to ferments. It's big enough (as big as the kettle) that I can mash 4-5 pounds, then add all the rest of the water for the boil, stir the grains for 10 minutes and pull the bag out. For $17 US it was a very good buy.

The bag is large enough I was just wondering if the bag or a strainer is more beneficial in terms of washing off the fermentables during the sparge process. I'm not only talking about specialty grains but base grains as well to extract sugar.

voodoochild7 said:
Can I do a mini-mash in a nylon steeping bag the sparge through the steeping bag or is a strainer better?

When I did extract/partial mash brewing, that's how I did it! When the time came to transfer to the carboy, I used a funnel with a S/S kithcen strainer inside.

Back