What did I do to my freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usethesource

Reaction score
I'm not well versed in refrigeration terms, so hopefully this makes sense.

A few weeks ago I got a 8.8 CF Kenmore freezer (253.16922103) from craigslist. The lady said it didn't get cold, so I got it for free. I took it home, plugged it in and it cooled to about 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Thinking that the must not have known how to operate the freezer, I ordered the parts for my keezer conversion.

To get it out of the way, I moved the freezer about 3 feet and aligned it with the wall.

After moving, it does not cool. The compressor comes on and gets warm, but not super hot. The 'drier'? gets cold and develops frost on the outside. I've removed the temperature controller and just created a short to keep the compressor on while troubleshooting (I'm using a STC-1000 controller).

The freezer does not have an auto-defrost, so I know that is not the issue.

I have not tested the capacitor or start relay yet. My assumption is that if those were bad the compressor would not come on?

I'm just confused because it was working completely fine before I moved it a few feet.

Thanks in advance.

I'd turn it off and let it sit. You should let fridges sit for a day before turning on after you've moved them to make sure the compressor is properly lubricated and any junk moving around in the system has settled.

However, since the previous owners had trouble with it, you may have to continue your troubleshooting afterwards.

I would have let it run for about 2 weeks before doing anything to it due to the fact you got it because it wasn't working. Most of the time when freezers die it is because of a leak and it's usually in the skin so it's not repairable.

I should clarify. I let it sit for about 4 days after I got it before plugging it in. It ran for about a week and stayed around 10 degrees.

It was 10 degrees when I moved it, but after I plugged it back in, it started to get warmer. I did not let it sit after moving it the 3 feet before plugging it back in. I left it unplugged for a couple days before plugging it back in again , though.

Still not cooling the main chamber. The compressor gets warm and the drier gets frosted.

Usethesoure, unplug it right now, get away from the computer and go unplug it, we will wait for ya. Go Now! Waiting.............
Ok now, it was working, you moved it around and mixed up the system oil into the compressor slugging it. It is trying to compress oil, you can't do that. Its very very very hard on the compressor. Let it sit until this time tomorrow. Plug it in and report back in 48 hours from right now. I'd bet you a chocolate pie its cold again. Given of course if its not burnt up now.

I let it sit for a few days and still a no-go. Decided to cut my losses and just get a new freezer. All I had in it was the truck rental to pick it up so I'm not inclined to fight with it anymore - I've got beer to drink.

Back