Can I use a bong for a starter? :D

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
Anyone ever use a waterbong as a starter vessel? Srsly, you could hook your diffusion stone right up to the bowl.... I'm just saying it could work. :fro: :D
roor_water_bong_5.0_little_sister_3_piece_f.jpg

I quit 2 years ago, and have no regrets, way more money in my pocket to brew beer with.... 1/4oz a month costs as much as making 4 batches of homebrew..... (I smoked quality pot, like the beer i drink)

i can't see why that wouldnt work however for the price of a bong and a diffusion downstem minus the bowl piece your still going to spend way more than on a large flask. Then again you can still use it for its intended purpose afterwords....i dont see why not. If you try to suck in though your going to take a hit of pure co2 which wouldnt be fun. SOmeone should try this and take pictures.

Oh- how would you plan to filter the pure o2 as not to contaminate the starter during aeration? You could always soak a sponge in starsan and shove it down the downstem....seems like a PIA. Ive obviously given this too much thought already

I just had to prost this thread based on sheer hilarity alone..not because I advocate drugk use or anything...

Actually I quit that in my late twenties after smoking some laced crap, and puking on half of the Motown session musicians I was with (they weren't called the "funk brothers" for nothing.)

It took me a couple of years before they let me live it down......

For some reason, this thread reminds me of this:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWVnPlUCrf8]YouTube - Jack In The Box Stoner Commercial[/ame]
- Dwain

A wise man once said:

Dennis Leary said:
What was the problem with just smoking a joint, eating a couple of Twinkies, and going to sleep? Was that a problem? They say marijuana leads to other drugs. No it doesn't, it leads to f***ing carpentry. That's the problem, folks. People getting high going, "Wow man, this box would make an excellent bong! *snort* This guy's head would make an excellent bong! *snort*" Relax! That's why I stopped doing drugs in the first place. Not because I didn't like 'em, but because I didn't want to build anything, ok?

A bong is essential to making a good starter. The preferred method is to dissolve 200 grams of DME in one liter of water. Use a saucepan for this step. When the DME is completely dissolved, pour into a two liter flask or something similar other than the bong. Add some Foam Control to the flask to reduce the boilover potential. Use a lot of it too! Now, load the bong and hit it at least three times within about the time it takes to bring the wort to a boil in the flask. Continue boiling for 10-15 minutes. Cool the flask in a pan of water or a sink. Be careful not to float the flask or it can tip over. Once cooled to below 80 F, you can pitch the yeast. Cool it to the lower fermentation temp if using lager yeast. Clean up the stove top before the boiled over wort dries to an epoxy like condition where it is near impossible to remove without using oven cleaner or something similar. This must be done before SHE returns home! Otherwise, there will be hell to pay.

Somewhat off topic... Roor makes some pretty nice stuff but they're way too expensive. A good friend of mine is a glassblower, made me a really nice piece with the ground slide fittings and everything for about 1/4 the price.

Somewhat off topic... Roor makes some pretty nice stuff but they're way too expensive. A good friend of mine is a glassblower, made me a really nice piece with the ground slide fittings and everything for about 1/4 the price.

if only we all knew a glassblower. See if he will blow you a carboy. When i went to stone brewing in san diego they had blown glass tap handels which were pretty sweet looking...

if only we all knew a glassblower. See if he will blow you a carboy. When i went to stone brewing in san diego they had blown glass tap handels which were pretty sweet looking...

Already asked about a carboy, no go. Glass tap handles, on the other hand, are on their way when he has some free time. To get my "friend discount" I have to wait until he's not really busy.

Yeah, have him blow a couple of 6.5 gallon carboys for me too! I lived in San Diego very near the glassblower who I think made the tap handles for Stone. The glass shop was right behind his house and he would occasionally have an open house kind of thing demonstrating his skills and wares.

Already asked about a carboy, no go. Glass tap handles, on the other hand, are on their way when he has some free time. To get my "friend discount" I have to wait until he's not really busy.

you know beer would probably move that along...bummer about the carboy though- that would have been sweet

what you do is get a un drilled stopper, drill two holes side by side, one for the downstem and one for a hose ... stick the down stem in one hole extending down into the lower half of the flask. now stick the hose(1/8th in. would work best) into the other hole, ending up being flush with the end of the stopper inside the flask( so if you take a power rip it doesnt suck threw).. its not a bong but more of a bubbler at that point. once you smoke in it, I wouldnt ever use it for brewing again.

IMO. keep the beaker RooR for smokin , and the flasks for starters.

I quit 2 years ago, and have no regrets, way more money in my pocket to brew beer with.... 1/4oz a month costs as much as making 4 batches of homebrew..... (I smoked quality pot, like the beer i drink)

Guess I am a lightweight. AN 1/8 last me a month to 6 weeks and only the kind for this pallete

Back