beans beans beans...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Making refried beans today with the left-over's from the batch of chili I made during the week. :rockin:

While I found the recipe online, I've tweaked it (before making it even once :eek:)...

Original recipe:
4 cups cooked pinto beans
3T 'healthy' fat for sauteing
1 cup chopped onion
5 cloves minced garlic
2-1/2 t cumin
2 t paprika
2 t sea salt
1/2 t chili powder
1/2 t black pepper
Milk, as needed (water or bean broth can be used instead)

Directions:
To prepare dry beans, place the beans in a large bowl, cover with an ample amount of water and allow to soak overnight. (Keep in mind that 1 cup of dry beans equals approximately 3 cups of cooked beans).

The next day, drain and rinse the beans. Cover them generously with fresh water and simmer for several hours or until tender. A slow cooker works wonderfully for this as well! I like to make up a big batch of beans and freeze the leftovers in 2 cup portions.

In a large pot or saucepan, saute the onions in the fat until they are soft and translucent.

Add the minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more.

Add the beans. If your beans are without liquid, you may need to add extra water or milk at this point. (I prefer to leave a little of the bean broth in with the beans when I freeze them.)

Stir in the cumin, paprika, salt, chili powder, and black pepper.

Bring to a slow simmer and allow it all to cook on low heat for 10-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

If the mixture is dry, you may need to thin it with a splash of milk or water at this point. However, if you started out with extra liquid in your cooked beans, you may not need to add anything.

Once the beans have cooked down for a while and the flavors have had time to incorporate, mash them with a potato masher, fork, or my personal favorite: an immersion blender. I prefer slightly chunky beans, versus a super-smooth “puree” consistency.

My changes:
Mixture of pinto, kidney and small red beans (amount uncertain, but 2-4 cups).
10 cloves minced garlic
EVOO and some butter to sauteing.
Coarse sea salt from Maine :rockin:

I plan on using the immersion blender to 'mash' them post cooking... Right now, I have the beans simmering on the stove. They're almost ready for the pan. :rockin:

Anyone else have a recipe??

Pictures of the steps...
Onion saute start
onion_saute_start-57119.jpg

Onions ready
saute_2-57120.jpg

Simmered beans ready
the_beans-57121.jpg

Beans added to the onions and garlic
mixing_in_the_beans-57122.jpg

Everything simmering together. All seasonings added (went with only 2 t of cumin). Ended up adding about 8-12oz of the liquid the beans cooked in.
cooking-57123.jpg

After the puree/mashing
mashed-57124.jpg

Had some on tortilla chips... I'll never buy pre-made refried beans again. :ban:

Back