2/3 break at 4 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started a strawberry melomel on saturday, pitched Sunday. I've been degassing daily with a lees stirrer. Just for the hell of it, I decided to take a gravity reading yesterday and it's dropped from 1.134 down to 1.030! What the hell is that about? The recipe was basically 3 gallons of water, 18 lbs honey, 17 lbs berries, and I used KV-1116. I'm baffled that it's dropped that quickly on me. Now my concern is oxidation. I'm hoping I've not introduced too much oxygen that far into fermentation. If it fell that quickly in 4 days, I'm assuming it was only 1 stirring that was actually past 1/3 break but I can't be sure. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this? Do I have $100 worth cardboard mead?

Ohhh Don't worry about it. It is hard to mess up mead as long as it is fermenting. Just sit back and enjoy watching the mead do it's thing. It is recommended to not introduce too much O2 after the 1/3 sugar break but if you did it will not kill this melomel. I bet 6 months from now this will be good and a year from now it will be outstanding.

I once dropped from 1.110 to 1.000 in less than 72 hours. The batch turned out fine.

The yeast you chose is a good one and typically establishes a solid ferment PDQ. Definitely time to transfer to airlock.

I'm wondering if such a ferocious fermentation would have scrubbed off a lot of my strawberry flavor? I wasn't going to add more fruit but with fermentation likely done in a week, now I'm considering adding more fruit to the secondary. My strawberries are completely destroyed from the degassing.

Do you plan on keeping it in primary for the full duration, or will you be transferring into secondary? If you're transferring, taste test your gravity reading when you do. Depending on flavor, add some fruit or leave it be. I'm no expert though.

Back