Fermenter chambers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaProud

Reaction score
What are your setups for a fermenter chamber? I want some ideas for long term bulk storage in varying(outdoor) temperatures. It will be in my garage and I would like space for at least 2, preferably 3-4 fermenters.

What gadgets do you use in freezers/refrigerators to keep them warm in the cold months? Mine will have to be in a un-heated/air-conditioned garage. Just looking for ideas

Thanks

I have a chest freezer that I ferment in. I use a stc-1000. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/
for heat I was using a small heater, but it crapped out so I'm now using a 100 watt light bulb on a ceramic base. It seems to work just fine. My garage is usually above 40 degrees in the winter. I ferment in a sanke so light is not a concern, but you can put a paint can over the bulb if you need to block the light. I also have a fan the runs constantly for circulation.

You are really asking two different questions. While your yeast is in the first 2 phases of fermentation the temperature needs to be controlled at the cool end of the yeast's preferred range (for most ale yeasts). Once the ferment slow down in the third phase, your temperature can be brought up to the low 70's for bulk aging. Once the aging is done, your temperature isn't very important although cooler is perhaps better than warmer.

I really just need to get my fermenters out of the kitchen into the garage. Currently the daily and seasonal temperature swings make is not possible.

Seems like a johnson control thermostat/ chest freezer is a popular option for cooling, but what are people using in the winter months for warming?

The STC-1000 is a dual temp controller. When you wire it into a standard 2-plug wall outlet and mount it all into a a box of some sort, you will have one plug for cooling and the other for heating. I have two, one for my fermenter chamber (an upright freezer) and the other for my keezer.

Simply plug the freezer/fridge into the cool outlet and some sort of heat source (that you place inside the freezer) into the heat outlet. I use the "DIY paint can fermentation heater" for my heat source and it works fine.

http://brewstands.com/fermentation-heater.html

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

Good for you for wanting to control your fermentation temps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that heater!

Thanks a lot, I gotta find a chest freezer.

I like that heater!

Thanks a lot, I gotta find a chest freezer.

For finding a freezer, Craigslist is a pretty darn good source. I picked up my upright (a 4 year-old Kenmore) for $70. With the door shelving removed (easily done with a Dremel cutting wheel), it fits two 6.5 gallon fermenter buckets.

I get a Holiday 7CU ft freezer and a Control Products TS-9102D setup this weekend. I was thinking about a 5CU ft (why would I ever want more than one carboy at a time. Fortunately I found a good deal and went with the larger size. thadius856 has an excellent thread on different freezers sizes and capacities. LandoLincoln has a great thread on the controller wiring that helped me put it all together.

FermSetup.jpg

(why would I ever want more than one carboy at a time.

I once thought that too. Seems that there were two buckets in my fermentation chamber last time I looked (about an hour ago).:D

It does give you more flexibility with your brew schedule as well as increasing your output if you happen to have too darn many empty kegs that need filling.

That was my thinking as well. Just starting out it is hard to think too much in the future, but worst case it is a freezer. I am sure I could find something to put in it (even unfermentables). And for about $30 more I doubled my available space while not taking too much room in my basement. So far I really like it. I used to have to keep one room in the low 70's in the winter for wine. Got that covered as well. The dual controller is the greatest.

Don't forget the free section on craigslist.

I got a working fridge for my chamber there.

Good timing on this thread. If you use a fridge as a ferm chamber, how do you control the heat as well as the cooling? I'd mainly need to keep the temps up, rather then down, but would need cooling in occasion as well

The light bulb in a paint can (link above) seems like a cheap, easy option for heating the chamber.

I use a 5 cu ft freezer with just a bare 75 Watt bulb. It is only on for 5 mins at a time and I keep my fermenter covered from the light. It works great!

Good timing on this thread. If you use a fridge as a ferm chamber, how do you control the heat as well as the cooling? I'd mainly need to keep the temps up, rather then down, but would need cooling in occasion as well

This is the question I wish I had asked two years ago..... You need a two-stage controller.

I spent money on the ETC 111-000 and I failed to think it through. I can heat or cool, but not at the same time. I have to manually tell it to run the heater or run the freezer by switching modes and unplugging/plugging the heater or chest freezer. Its not bad but I still have to monitor to keep things in line. With a two-stage you set the points and it turns on the appropriate circuit.

I use a 5 cu ft freezer with just a bare 75 Watt bulb. It is only on for 5 mins at a time and I keep my fermenter covered from the light. It works great!

I'd be a bit hesitant to have a bare bulb in there.

If the bulb gets in contact with any plastic, it can melt it. Plus, I don't like an unnecessary light to shine upon my incubating beer.

The paint can heater is quite easy to make, inexpensive, stable, and works quite nicely. I've been very happy with mine. Please be sure to well insulate all wiring from the metal of the can.

I got a small portable ceramic heater from amazon for $15 or so (pic in my above post). Once the internal temp gets stabilized in the programmed range - it is only on for a minute or two to get back within temp set. The freezer is the same way for the cooling side. For me this is a lot better than keeping an entire room at a certain temp to ferment.

I got a small portable ceramic heater from amazon for $15 or so (pic in my above post). Once the internal temp gets stabilized in the programmed range - it is only on for a minute or two to get back within temp set. The freezer is the same way for the cooling side. For me this is a lot better than keeping an entire room at a certain temp to ferment.

I saw your setup, I did the same but I got my ceramic heater on the end of winter sale from Home Depot for $12. It also has the heat safety built where as it gets too hot it will turn off (failsafe) and has the tip over sensor. I feel pretty confident with it in there.

I'd be a bit hesitant to have a bare bulb in there.

If the bulb gets in contact with any plastic, it can melt it. Plus, I don't like an unnecessary light to shine upon my incubating beer.

The paint can heater is quite easy to make, inexpensive, stable, and works quite nicely. I've been very happy with mine. Please be sure to well insulate all wiring from the metal of the can.

I agree with you. It was only meant as a temp setup. I have not run into any issues and I always have my beer covered.

I am planning to making the freezer to a keezer and use a fish tank heater in a tub of water with the fermenter to maintain the temp. The fish tank heater might be a good option for you to try out. Good Luck

Back