Musical Taps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
Has anyone tried rigging up their taps so they play a sound or music when you pour a beer? I'd like to do that as a joke for some friends. The problem I'm having is figuring out how to do it inconspicuously. I figured I'd plug a headphone jack into my mp3 player and cut the headphones off. Then have another set of wires running into my speakers. When the tap opens, the wires touch and the music plays (I would just leave it on a loop so it's always playing but you can't always hear it). I'm just not sure how to get the wires touching when opening part to happen without some big contraption around the tap.

I think a trip to your local radioshack or electroics componenets reseller wodul be a good thing for you. I can think of about 50 ways to do this, but won't want to spend my time (probably 2 hours) to write it out for you. I will say that with some super glue, and a single switch from radio shack (or however many taps you have, so all look the same), some doorbell wire and a soldering gun/solder you can do this in an afternoon.

Other ideas,

hooked it up to LED lights using a 9v battery for power too, so it plays Handel's "hallelujah" and lights up the tap, also possible to get an LED into the tap so it lights up the beer

Hooked up to a doorbell

Hooked up to a car horn

Hooked up to a trap door

Imagination is key.

how about using one of those novelty greeting cards that play a song when you open them? Theyre cheap. If you gut the insides its a very small unit that plays the music and should be easy to rig up to the tap.

Back