Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager fermented in mid 60's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwomp313

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered, I didn't really find much on a search. After watching the Brewing TV episode about lager brewing I decided I wanted to try something. They said (and it also says this on the Wyeast website) that the Bohemian Lager yeast could be fermented into the high 60's and I figured I'd wanna get one more lager in while it's still cool up here. (don't have a ferm fridge) I brewed a 5 gallon all weyermann pils beer, landed at 1.050. I pitched 2 smack packs (yes I know according to Mr. Malty this is underpitching but I didn't have time to make a starter and didn't have the money to buy 4 smack packs). Anywho, she took off within 12 hours and she's still going pretty steady now at about 66 degrees according to the stickon thermometer. (been 3 days).

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried to push the temperature limits on this yeast and what their results were? BTV says that it makes a very clean beer even at these temps so I suppose we shall see.

Interesting; make sure you update this thread when you have the results. I'm wondering if it will turn into a California common type brew.

I just used the dry version of that strain and it turned out well in a California common.

I've been interested in this since I noticed this on Wyeast's site:
This Carlsberg type yeast is the most widely used lager strain in the world. This strain produces a distinct malty profile with some ester character and a crisp finish. A versatile strain, that is great to use with lagers or Pilsners for fermentations in the 45-55°F (8-12°C) range. It may also be used for Common beer production with fermentations at 65-68°F (18-20°C).

It will come out very similar to a steam beer. I used that strain in my last Cali common because they didn't have the Cali lager strain in stock.

Just to update, according to the stick on thermometer, she sat at around 66 for the bulk of fermentation and once she calmed down she's been sitting at about 60 degrees since. Took her about a week before the krausen started falling. I'll secondary her at some point and let her hang out for a while then keg.

I took a gravity reading of a schwarzbier I fermented with this strain. The sample tasted about as good as I could have hoped for. Very clean with a few ale characteristics. I am actually thinking about making it my house strain and using it for all my beers that don't call for a specific strain. My basement never gets above 62 ambient, so I figure it should do well.

Thank you for the information on this yeast, bwomp313. I will be trying this later in the year!! I think maybe I will brew a Helles or something, we'll see.

forgot to update this. transferred it to a secondary on 5/22. it's been sitting at around 64 degrees steady. I'll keg it eventually and post some tasting notes

Any results on using WY2124 above 60F? I am thinking about using this strain more, too. Maybe ferment an IPA at 50F and skip the lagering stage.

Oh the suspense! Tasting notes from 2012!! Haha.
I was excited to hear what was said about his brew...oh well.

^^i have at least 2 threads on warm fermenting lagers that you may be interested in. Join us!

Back