Low fermentation temps - again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiSoloII

Splitting the beer atom since 1996
Reaction score
Brewed last Monday. Left on vacation Tuesday afternoon. Got back tonite, and all my beer is still steadily bubbling with active Kraesen.

12 gallons 1.067 IPA with 1335.
10 gallons 1.061 Amber with Pacman.
Good starter on both.

When we left, I had it in the basement. Turned down the thermostat to 50 degrees. Didn't think about fermentation temps - silly me. I read a couple of threads, probably won't harm the beers I guess.

Question is, now that I have turned the thermostat up to mid-60's, should I add temp to the system as well?

Thanks,

Dave

I could see raising the temps to help release some additional CO2, which will carry off some flavors (specifically sulfur if those yeasts produce that flavor).

what do you mean by 'add temp to the system'?

Still going. considering heating belt, pad, piping the furnace air to the carboys, whatever....

Can't seem to get over 62 as they sit.

I wasn't considering anything WRT driving off CO2 or off-flavors, as the cooler temps supposedly don't produce the off flavors as much, and I want the CO2. Using 1335 and Pacman - 2 different beers brewed the same day, both still going.

I guess I'll pull an SG reading, but I want to DH the IPA to be ready for Xmas.

Dave

The pacman should do just fine at 62, I don't know anything about the other though

I was getting low temps the other day (59-60F) and I had the great idea to put a small space heater in my fermentation closet overnight to maybe bump it up a few degrees. Wow, that was a big mistake. I checked on it the next morning and the temp was in the 80s! Fortunately I was able to drop it back down by the end of the day and it is just the primary fermentation of a lambic.

Lesson learned: Space heaters in closet = HOT

Back