found organic cocoa nibs at bulk store what to do with them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garlicbee

Reaction score
found some cocoa nibs at the bulk store and thought they were recommended for a chocolate mead

also have a good 20lbs of runny honey (a little to watery )

does anyone have any recipes for chocolate mead

new to this so would need specific instructions (like boiling honey first, when to add yeast all that good stuff)

thanks!!

the cocao nibs smell fab, can you eat them?:mug:

I have no clue about their use in mead, but you certainly can eat them. A friend includes them in her breakfast cereal. Go Google; you'll come up with more ideas than you can use :)

You can incorporate them after S.G. has dropped by 2/3. It will take a good while for extraction, but if you age like any good mead does then there will be no issue. Make a basic mead. If you want to kick up the chocolate add 5-7 drops vanilla per 750ml bottle. Last time I used 2 oz nibs. You can also make an extract by covering them in pure grain.

Won't work in a straight mead, but I have a braggot (malted mead) going that I used 1 oz of cocao nibs each at the mash, 1/2 hour boil, and 10 min of boil. You can definately taste the bitter chocolate from it.

However you use them (my point was that you can add the cacao nibs at any point, and get different flavours from each, I'm sure), I would say maybe 3-4 oz per gallon, and if they are unroasted, you should do so by lightly cooking them in a dry frying pan (or baking).

You don't need to boil the honey either, it's fine as is unless you want caramelly flavours in your mead (making it a bochet).

Back