Kits vs Recipies...What to do with the extras?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcows

Reaction score
I just got done kegging my 54th batch of beer, all have been kits...the majority from NB but recently I have been trying other places. For me kits have always been easy, you get what you need and when you are done you have nothing left over.

I have been considering trying some recipes I have found on the net or maybe even doing some of my own. For those that do this do you just accept the fact that you will have extras, do you try and make recipes that come out to even pounds and ounces, do you keep the extra and try and fit it into another recipe or do you just accept the fact that there will be a bit of waste?

Only extras I end up with are hops. I seal them the best I can and put them in the freezer for a later recipe. If you have DME left over, use it for starters.

Depending on what the pound of stuff I've got left over is I might save it or just use it, pending on the beer also. Like if its extra 2# of crystal I wouldn't throw that into the same recipe if it already had crystal in it. If its extra base malt or extract then a higher gravity is typically nicer, unless its meant to be a session beer.

Recently I made a leftovers ipa which ended up with a very odd grain bill but still tasted great.

You'll also find buying the items individually, especially in bulkier quantities, will be cheaper than the kits run.

I just got done kegging my 54th batch of beer, all have been kits...the majority from NB but recently I have been trying other places. For me kits have always been easy, you get what you need and when you are done you have nothing left over.

I have been considering trying some recipes I have found on the net or maybe even doing some of my own. For those that do this do you just accept the fact that you will have extras, do you try and make recipes that come out to even pounds and ounces, do you keep the extra and try and fit it into another recipe or do you just accept the fact that there will be a bit of waste?

Fresh ingredients are always better but some store better than others.

Grain stores pretty well for a decent period of time especially if it is not crushed. Just keep it cool and dry in a sealed container.

I wouldn't store LME in partial quantities. I would order LME as a base and use DME(which stores pretty well in a sealed container) to get to your desired OG. Use LME to get about 90% of the way to your desired OG.

Hops probably spoil the quickest. You should store them sealed in your freezer to keep them as fresh as possible.

Almost forgot yeast. I personally would never use a partial quantity of yeast. Store it in the fridge till the day you need it.

I guess none of that answers your question though. I wouldn't worry about getting exactly what you need for eery batch. I generally use specialty grains in 4 or 8oz increments so I typically have some left over as I buy 16oz at a time. I wouldn't worry about extra ingredients until they start to get a little old. If they start to get a little old just start a "this is what I have, what should I make" thread.

Grains store fine at 'cool' temps (70 F and below). Just seal to keep mice and their bigger friends away.

Hops store just fine in freezer. If you use them within a couple of years you will be OK. As you get more of a perfectionist, 2 years may be stretching it, but I find with decent sealing they do fine over a couple of years.

DME stores fine dry. Any moisture will create rocks. You can use rocks, but the DME will be starting to deteriorate.

I store LME for a few months open, (at 65 F) and it seems to do OK. I buy 33 lbs containers which last about 5 brews.

Use the lightest extract you can get and then it can be used in any recipe. That way it will not stick around for long. Providing you store it well, both grains and hops will keep for a long time.

Back