Maple Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luda007

Reaction score
Made this last night.

Ingredients

3 lbs Honey
3 TBS lemon juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 oz very strong tea
3 fluid oz of Pure maple syrup
yeast according to preference

I substituted the tea with a 1/2t of tannin.
I started with 7 cups of water. Once everything was in the 1 gallon Carboy I topped it off with more water.

My OG is 1.122

I didn't do much research but am wondering about the tannin. I totally guessed.
The recipe called for boiling some water and removing 4oz and adding a single tea bag.
Any input?

The amount of tannin should be good, but I don't think you would want to go any more than that for one gallon. Teas are nice to use because they can impart additional flavors as well as add tannins. I am making a blackberry mead right now and I added three bags of ginger lemon to my one gallon batch to add some zing, something that you can't do with a straight tannin addition.

Hmmm.
That sounds kind of good actually.
I might have to try that!

Blackberry mead is actually a black currant blackberry that ended up super tart. Too many currants I think. So unfortunately the recipe is still a work in progress.

Cheers and good luck with yours though. I would be interested to hear how yours turns out!

Back