Carbonation issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really think ya can... but stouts usually are dispensed with 'beer gas' which is a mix of C02 and nitrogen. But a different regulator IS required.

In a word....no. Nitrogen is pretty much insoluble in beer. Your beer might pour like a Guinness, but once the show is over, it will be flat as a pancake. Beer gas is only about 20 - 25% (I think) CO2, so it's better, but not much. For most homebrew set-ups, unless you have a really long run from keg to faucet, stick with straight CO2.

Prosit!

Radarbrew said:
Can you carb with Nitrogen? If so, is it the same regulator as C02? This was probably asked before, but indulge me please...:drunk:
Absolutely not. You can nitrogenate with Nitrogen, but you can only carbonate with CO2.

That said, nitrogen doesn't dissolve into beer that easy. Beer gas, which is a mix largely consisting of nitrogen with a minority amount of CO2, is usually used to push stouts. Stouts such as Guiness are served through a special tap that has a restrictor plate in it, which produces the incredibly dense head. However, they are served relatively low in carbonation - and if they crank up straight CO2 enough to push the stouts through the restrictor plate, then the beer picks up too much carbonation. Hence the majority amount of Nitrogen in beer gas - the CO2 is there to provide a low level of carbonation, and the largely insoluble nitrogen is there to provide enough pressure to push the fluid through the tap.

Back