Decoction Mash Times?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eastside Brewer

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a Brown Ale tomorrow and I am going to try a single decoction for the first time. I think I have the whole process down pretty good.

First Beersmith has the protein rest at 122 degres 35 min. Is this neccessary, or can it be shorter like 15 min.?

Next, if I am going to decoct 3.5 gallons of mash and boil, how long do I boil? Beersmith says step time is 60 min. So boil for 60 min. or bring to a boil and then add it back to Mash Tun and hold temp at 149 for 60 min.? I am confused.

Finally mash out at 168 which is totally self-explanitory.

Any help on this would be gretaly appreciated.

Eastside

I'm far from an expert, having just done my first decoction, but I did a 20 min protein, pulled 1/3 for the decoction, heated it to 150 for a 20 minute conversion rest before heating again to a full boil for 30 more before returning to the mash tun. Then I did a full 60 minute conversion rest on the whole mash at 150.

I'm far from an expert, having just done my first decoction, but I did a 20 min protein, pulled 1/3 for the decoction, heated it to 150 for a 20 minute conversion rest before heating again to a full boil for 30 more before returning to the mash tun. Then I did a full 60 minute conversion rest on the whole mash at 150.

That's what I do when I do it.

What's your base malt? I'm assuming it's not Marris Otter? In any case, that 122dF protein rest might hurt it. If you happen to have your malt analysis, you should figure out the soluble nitrogen ratio. If it's over 36% (probably is), you should do a Protein/Saccharification rest in the low 130s, then a Dextrin rest in the mid to upper 150s. Based on that, here's an example of what did on a Helles and is taken from Greg Noonan for the most part:

Strike in to mash temp. of 131dF. Wait 5 minutes. Pull decoction.
Heat decoction to 154F, rest for 10 min. Heat to boiling. Boil for 5 min. Return decoction for rest at 154F for 20 min. Direct-heat mash to mash-out temp.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will do a protien rest at 130 for 20 minutes, then pull decoction and heat to 150 for 10 min. then boil for 10 min. and then return to Mash. Hold mash temp at 154 for 60 min. then mash out at 168 for 10 min. and then sparge with 170 degree water???

Experimenting will be fun, thanks again for responses.

Eastside

A protein rest at 130 is also going to convert some fermentable sugars from starch... and remember, while you have your decoction heating up, boiling, etc., the rest of your mash is converting at that 130 rest. This will usually take 30-45 minutes. So, what I'm trying to say is that your post decoction rest for 60 minutes is longer than it needs to be. You could do it for 20 or 30 minutes and be fine.

Wow what a brewday, I don't think I'm ready for decoction yet. Everything took so much longer, but I'm glad I tried it. If I did it again I will have a buddy over to help.

Thanks again for the input, it was helpful.

Eastside

Wow what a brewday, I don't think I'm ready for decoction yet. Everything took so much longer, but I'm glad I tried it. If I did it again I will have a buddy over to help.

Definitely a chore. My decoction brewday was nearly 5 hours after cleanup. Could be tightened up with some process improvements if this Oktoberfest pans out though.

Back