Imperial Stout Respect Imperial Stout (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Ale yeast of your choice. I believe I used Nottingham's
Yeast Starter
If liquid yes if dry not necessary
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks
10lbs Dark dry malt extract

1Lbs Cane sugar

1/3 Lbs Molasses

12oz Crystal Malt

10oz Chocolate Malt

3oz Roasted Barley

3oz Black Patent

2.5 oz Target Hops (bittering)

1oz Target Hops (flavor)

1/2oz Target Hops (aroma)

Bring 2 gallons of water and grains to 155 degrees and steep for 30 minutes. Bring this to a boil. Remove from heat and add all malt extract, cane sugar, and molasses. Allow wart to boil for 45 min. Add your flavoring hops and boil an additional 10 min. Add aroma hops and boil and additional 5 minutes.

This beer is right around 10.3% abv. It's best aged as long as you can wait. I believe my best tasting batch yet of this brew I aged for about 4 months. I'm sure you could easily age this beer a year or longer. I just couldn't wait that long!

Enjoy!

Could you exchange the cane sugar for lactose to make a milk stout?

Could you exchange the cane sugar for lactose to make a milk stout?

Probably, the sugar in there is just another fermentable(to raise the ABV would be my guess) So you could cut the sugar and get a lower ABV or just add the lactose with the sugar if you want the same ABV. I think most people add the lactose at bottling/secondary since it is non-fermentable anyways.

I like the sound of this recipe. I think I will use this recipe to pop my beer brewing cherry.

One quick question though. Which crystal malt should i use? 120L?

When you say to age it 4 months, do you mean in the secondary or in the bottle? I'm relatively new to this.
Thanks!
-Sam

Note- I made this but upped the molasses to 1 cup and added licorice. That was too much molasses (unless you really like sweet super-dark imperial stouts). I'm trying it again with 2/3 cup (about 0.45 lbs I think)

"It's best aged as long as you can wait. I believe my best tasting batch yet of this brew I aged for about 4 months. I'm sure you could easily age this beer a year or longer. I just couldn't wait that long!"

Just came across this recipe and it sounds really good. When you say age for a long time, do you mean in bottles or in secondary?

From the recipe description I would say he means in bottles, it says he had it in Secondary for 2 weeks.

This looks like what I want to make my next batch, my question, for anyone who might answer, is would it work to substitute another pound of DME for the cane sugar? I don't really want the beer picking up cidery/winey flavors, but I do want the high ABV.

Made this per recipe, only using organic ingredients and hitting the secondary with some bourboned oak chips. 4 weeks later, bottles are still flat but incredibly tasty.. probably should have pitched new yeast before bottling. Hopefully carbs before I drink it all flat :D

2 1/2 months in, it's amazing. Going to start another batch next week with a little less molasses and maybe a touch of allspice.

When you add licorice:

1.) How much do you add?
2.) What kind is used?
3.) When do you add it?

I happen to love the taste of licorice, but I stay away from the cheap stuff. I only eat the stuff that has real licorice extract (I can tell the difference).

Is it harder to get a stout like this to carb up?

Man, I really want to brew this one!

Shepherd5 said:
When you add licorice:

1.) How much do you add?
2.) What kind is used?
3.) When do you add it?

I happen to love the taste of licorice, but I stay away from the cheap stuff. I only eat the stuff that has real licorice extract (I can tell the difference).

Is it harder to get a stout like this to carb up?

Man, I really want to brew this one!
I don't know about this exact recipe but generally
More ethanol means the yeast are more strained and ethanol doesn't 'hold' gas as well as water does either, so it takes longer

Probably not telling you anything new though

I am wondering how you obtained 66 IBUs from this recipe... with an 11% aa rating on the target hops, I get around 37 IBUs.

I did a similar recipe today with Brewer's Gold hops and I am worried my IBUs are too low at around 33 IBUs... (aa was 9.4% on my hops.)

Or did you do a full boil?

I am trying this for my first batch (probably will do a quicker batch once I get this out of primary). Mental note to self - get a 6.5 carboy - 1.5 days in and I must have blown off a gallon at least, with no signs of stopping. Using Nottingham's at 65F, and matched the OP's gravity before pitching.

Anyone who has brewed this or similar: any special advice on priming/bottling? I have been reading that carbonation is sometimes tricky with HG beers but the guidance around this seems to run the gamut. Thanks in advance!

Mine is fermenting like mad right now. Glad I did a starter, but I wonder if I should have made a bigger one (I did 1 Quart.)

This is going to be my first time brewing the imperial stout, I have 3 madagascar vanilla beans shaved/chopped and sitting in vodka to add to the secondary, any helpful tips?

What type of yeast does everyone suggest here, I want to use wyeast liquid, but not sure the strain...

so a few days in and its fermenting like crazy. anyone that's made this did you bottle... and if so how much priming sugar did you use ... I plan on using corn sugar...

About how long does this take to carb? I used about 4oz of priming sugar and was planning on having 1 bottle once a month to check progress.

10lbs Dark dry malt extract

1Lbs Cane sugar

1/3 Lbs Molasses

12oz Crystal Malt

10oz Chocolate Malt

3oz Roasted Barley

3oz Black Patent

2.5 oz Target Hops (bittering)

1oz Target Hops (flavor)

1/2oz Target Hops (aroma)

Bring 2 gallons of water and grains to 155 degrees and steep for 30 minutes. Bring this to a boil. Remove from heat and add all malt extract, cane sugar, and molasses. Allow wart to boil for 45 min. Add your flavoring hops and boil an additional 10 min. Add aroma hops and boil and additional 5 minutes.

This beer is right around 10.3% abv. It's best aged as long as you can wait. I believe my best tasting batch yet of this brew I aged for about 4 months. I'm sure you could easily age this beer a year or longer. I just couldn't wait that long!

Enjoy!

Sounds great can you add coffee to this and if so do you know how and when

Did anyone who has tried this recipe double-pitch?

I double pitched s-04 and its going to be great.

It's only 5 weeks in the bottle but, with some age it's gonna be a fav for sure. At the moment it tastes like melted chocolate with vodka mixed in.

I used 4oz corn sugar to prime and it's not fully carbed yet at 5 weeks.

Brewed this up on Sunday. Smelled great going into the fermenter. Took less than 6 hours for fermentation to get going. Three days in and the yeast are still pushing foam out the blowoff tube. This is perhaps the most violent fermentation I've ever had on a brew. And these guys are kicking out some pretty serious heat. I have the carboy sitting in my nearly full utility sink and I'm having a heck of a time keeping the temp under control. I'm hoping this turns out well.

I brewed this on 12/15. Though I bumped the molasses up to 3/4lb. I didn't have any Target on hand, so I substituted with Nugget. Also, double pitched S-04. I might prime with local honey rather than sugar?

This cost about $1.20 a bottle and I would put it against almost any sub 7 dollar Imperial at my local bottle shop.

I've since switched to all grain but would happily brew this extract recipe again. At almost a year in bottles its really taking on the deep rich chewy chocolate taste that I knew it would.

Used this recipe for my first NOT MR. Beer brew. 2 weeks in the fermenter now. I cut the recipe in half since I am still using the little Mr. Beer fermenter. My wife won't let me buy any more beer brewing equipment, yet.

Used this recipe for my first NOT MR. Beer brew. 2 weeks in the fermenter now. I cut the recipe in half since I am still using the little Mr. Beer fermenter. My wife won't let me buy any more beer brewing equipment, yet.

Did You get a sticky dark mess all over the place? If not, aerate a little better next time, then let it flow all over the clothes in the closet, then demand better equipment.

This sounds like an awesome recipe and I would love to try it. However, the problem is that I live in Mumbai and dont have a refrigerator to put my fermenter in. I intend to get one soon but am waiting for the right moment so that my wife wont be upset about it!! I use a wet towel wrapped around the fermenter to keep the temperature under control however it does not quite get down to 65F but stays more like 70-75F. Wondering if such a violently fermenting beer (as described by several people) would blow the top off my fermenter at 75F.

I know this is an old post, but we brewed this up, and it is a fantastic recipe! We originally pitched Cali common yeast, white labs, then when it was over whelmed, we pitched white labs super high gravity yeast. After 3 months we put this fantastic brew in a whiskey barrel and aged it for 4 months. Just keeps getting better! And 13℅ at the end

What if I substituted honey for cane sugar and molasses? Or if I kept the molasses, I would just use any regular molasses? Like aunt jemima? Excuse the noob questions lol

Back