Ruthless Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mighty

Reaction score
New beer from Chico And Love it... Tasted from the tap and bought a case. Love the lable (graffics).. How do they do it????:mug:

I saw their ad on the back of Beer Advocate and was instantly super excited. I can't wait for it to be in my parts. I'm also super excited that it is a new beer to their line and not just a one off bomber.

Anything commercial you've had that it compares to?

Great beer, had some recently.
Peppery and malty in the front then sweet aromatic hops at the finish. Not in your face but balanced and not very bitter, I'd say generally on the sweeter floral hoppy side then the piney. Very smooth and chewy/syrupy mouthfeel. My theory for the peppery malt characteristic, floral hoppyness and syrupy mouthfeel is the rye coming out. Very complex and this may sound strange but a dark flavor profile. Like castle and demon dark, the label artwork is right on.

Can anyone compare it to another rye. I've wanted to try rye in a batch but have no idea how it affects the beer.

Got a case in the fridge right now :D

Wasn't sure I liked it when I had the first one....never and a Rye Ale before so it caught me off guard.

Now I've had a few and I have to say it's very good.

Meshuggah said:
Has anyone seen this on the east coast?

Just saw it at Hop City in Atlanta today, but was already buying too much other stuff to allow myself to buy it. Next time.

I dont think anybody but California has had it yet,there taking too long to deliver it!:( Ive been calling around-nothing.

So I went and bought a six pack of this last night. It was way more hoppy and bitter than I was expecting. I am not a hop head and am pretty new to the craft beers too though. It does have a delicious wheat and rye flavor with some sweetness. At 6.6% ABV and after 5 of these I was feeling pretty damn good! Awesome label too BTW.

Sweet, i was reading some reviews and a hop head had said it wasnt hoppy enough.
@jtfisher63 I was wondering what you think about the SN Torpedo then? I remember when i was getting into craft beers and had that and was blown away at the bitter,now its about average as far as bitter/hoppy. The bar has been raised so much though,and there are alot of overthetop beers. Plus i probably suffer from the Lupilin Threshold.

Sweet, i was reading some reviews and a hop head had said it wasnt hoppy enough.
@jtfisher63 I was wondering what you think about the SN Torpedo then? I remember when i was getting into craft beers and had that and was blown away at the bitter,now its about average as far as bitter/hoppy. The bar has been raised so much though,and there are alot of overthetop beers. Plus i probably suffer from the Lupilin Threshold.

I haven't tried the Torpedo, but the SN Pale Ale is too hoppy for me, so I'd get bitter beer face for sure from Torpedo. I was talking to my wife last night about if my perception or palate will change towards hops the deeper I get into craft beers. This happened sort of when I became a foodie of sorts. I began to appreciate some foods that I previously didn't like, fennal for example. I have no idea what "Lupilin Threshold" is BTW.

No offense. But a Hoptimum or Hopslam could possibly blow your head off at your stage then.. Dont try this at home. unless you have tried like 30 differernt ipa's/pale ales, that may put you in the boat. But really good ipa's are pretty balanced, if you had a strong beer with high ibu's but a good malt balance it really doesnt seem that bitter. Most of them are pretty balanced, west coast ipa's are generally hop forward though. Try a Bell's 2 hearted or Ranger.YOur already a hophead without knowing it. It only takes a few good balanced ipa's. I used to think SN Pale ale was the most bitter,now i cant get enough.

On the shelves in Kentucky. Bitter as expected with trademark grapefruit. Rye adds spiciness and maybe astringency to go with hop bitterness? Long bitter finish. Don't see how this would pair with food...would blow away any other flavor. Good for sipping and football watching.

Maybe pair with a shot of Buffalo Trace. BT has rye in the grist.

Looking forward to trying this. I'm a big fan of all Sierra Nevada beers. The label is awesome on this one, spent too much time this morning checking out some of Ken Taylor's other artwork online. My next brew is going to be a rye pale ale, so I'll have this and Terrapin's to try alongside my homebrew.

No offense. But a Hoptimum or Hopslam could possibly blow your head off at your stage then.. Dont try this at home. unless you have tried like 30 differernt ipa's/pale ales, that may put you in the boat. But really good ipa's are pretty balanced, if you had a strong beer with high ibu's but a good malt balance it really doesnt seem that bitter. Most of them are pretty balanced, west coast ipa's are generally hop forward though. Try a Bell's 2 hearted or Ranger.YOur already a hophead without knowing it. It only takes a few good balanced ipa's. I used to think SN Pale ale was the most bitter,now i cant get enough.

I want to like hoppy beer, but just don't yet. I'll take your advise and try a more balanced IPA.

Big SN fan, Torp, celebration, Bigfoot, Harvest, Tumbler, Glissade.

Ruthless here in St louis, was not impressed at all with it. It's ok but nothing special or that I will buy again. Hearing it's replacing Glissade is disturbing.
Bring on the Bigfoot!

First had this a week ago today and have since purchased another 6-er and a whole case. Needless to say... its very good. I'm a big fan of most anything Sierra Nevada.

It made it to Indiana. I bought it at the local IGA on Tuesday. I took a bottle to our homebrew club meeting. Almost everyone enjoyed it.

You guys aRE pissing me off. i need one now!:( But my little area waria is not suppliing them yet,be patient,impatient one,. For it will come...) Then you will be slightly disapointed from the hype.ER uh i mean it could, i dont, might,hmm. well,2012 Bigfoot?

Didn't know it was out until I saw at the grocery store yesterday. Great beer. I'm not a fan of Terrapin rye ale, but the rye flavors worked out much better in the bigger IPA. This beer will be a regular in my fridge.

Had a few last night, I really enjoyed it. Another great beer from SN. For some reason I haven't been drinking too much of the Torpedo lately. I think the rye in this beer adds some nice complexity and mouthfeel to the IPA style- I'll certainly pick up some more Ruthless whenever I get a chance.

Didn't know it was out until I saw at the grocery store yesterday. Great beer. I'm not a fan of Terrapin rye ale, but the rye flavors worked out much better in the bigger IPA. This beer will be a regular in my fridge.

Exactly my thought. Wasn't a fan of any commercial rye beer until Ruthless. Had one last night, unique.

What a coincidence, too. I am kegging my own Rye IPA this wkend. Woohoo!

I haven't spotted this yet in my area. But, I'll definitely pick it up when I come across it. I'm a huge fan of rye in my beers. My next brew is going to be a moderately hoppy American rye/wheat ale. I've also decided that I want some sort of rye beer ready to drink at all times.

Saw it last week at the grocery store but didn't get it, being laid off is a *****. Will try to buy a single today to try it, I like most rye beers, and love the rye pale ale by real ale brewing.

Got the last 6er on the shelf. Thanks to whoever left it for me. I rather like it.

Bought a shared a six pack with SWMBO, we both agreed it was good, but it had very little hop flavor or aroma, and muted rye flavor, decent aroma from the rye though. Was disappointing as an IPA, I think they should call it an Imperial Amber Rye.

Bought a shared a six pack with SWMBO, we both agreed it was good, but it had very little hop flavor or aroma, and muted rye flavor, decent aroma from the rye though. Was disappointing as an IPA, I think they should call it an Imperial Amber Rye.

Hmmm, I thought just the opposite. It was much hoppier than I expected from SN (not as much as Torpedo), and the rye was "in your face".

Maybe it changes batch to batch (seriously).

Haven't seen that beer but here are a couple of really good Rye brews the Avery is there 18th anv. Rye Saison and it is great going to get more this week and the Hebrew is there RIPA aged in Sazerac Rye whiskey barrel fantastic
Photo on 2012-01-15 at 18.04.jpg

spotted this at a local grocer today and picked up a sixer. very impressed, has that kinda distinctive SN bitterness and hop aroma with a nice bite from the rye.

jonmohno, should be around in Iowa now.

We have it in Kentucky and this is a winner. Sierra Nevada got me into brewing and keeps on making top shelf but easy to drink beer. Ruthless is fantastic.

Back