Random Brew Pal Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispykid

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been using Brew Pal for the iphone for my last couple batches and I love the app because it allows me to make on the fly adjustments at my LHBS instead of getting home and finding out that I actually should have bought an extra ounce of hops because of IBU discrepencies and the like. It's also handy to have it right in your pocket on brew day.

In any event, I've noticed some weird things that I can't quite figure out.

1. I entered a dubbel recipe that predicted an original gravity of 1.066 assuming 75% efficiency. I measured my actual OG and got 1.065 - great, close enough. But when I go to results it flashes me with a warning that says, "Measured OG is more than 15% different from Grain Bill estimated OG."

Any idea what gives?

2. Anytime I enter a gravity reading it insists on bumping the result up by .001 - for instance, my final gravity was 1.012 at 68 degrees. But when I enter 1.012 it records the final gravity as 1.013. I know that you're supposed to correct for temperature, but I thought that 68 degrees was where the corrections zeroed out. Easy enough to adjust for, but it seems a bit too obvious to even be a bug. What am I missing?

I have the same issues.

On #2, I haven't figured it out either.

On #1, I don't know. I had it pop up the same warning on me on one beer and mine was only 12% different. It was more than 10% different on the FG. I suppose that could be it.

#2: I believe most hydrometers are calibrated for 60 deg (it should be printed somewhere on yours). So, assuming you are taking a reading at 68, there is a correction required. If your hydrometer happens to be calibrated for 68, change the temp in Brew Pal to 60 and the program will not apply the correction.

Okay, I just looked at the options for that page (the little grey gear in the top right corner). Mine says:

Wort temperature 68F
Correction factor 1.04

Maybe tinkering around with your settings will help you get it fixed.

Found a recipe that used Centennial hops. Recipe indicates IBU of 56, but Beer Pal says 94 IBU. So is it 56 or 94?

I do double batch sparging and I've noticed that BrewPal doesn't factor in a mashout temp in their sparges. For instance, it'll tell me to sparge at say
168*. If our goal is to get our grains up to 168* for mashout, to halt the conversion process, than putting 168* water into grains that are at say 150* isn't going to raise the temp enough for mashout. I wonder if this is something that could be added for future versions or am I missing something here?

:mug:

Back