well i found it takes alot to kill yeast but will it give me off flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgrcltpunk

Reaction score
well i brewed my 2nd batch of beer on friday a dopple bock style with ale yeast and again (gonna have to make a wort chiller) i couldnt get it down to yeast pitching temps but i had to go to bed so i pitched the yeast at 95 degrees and its still fermenting today(well air lock is bubbling so something is going on) i did make a yeast starter of 1300ml water to 1 cup dme and my og was 1.082 anyway will i get alot of off flavors or should it be ok?

first 72hrs is where the majority of the flavor profile is developed. if its been cruising in the 90's, oh boy, get ready for some fusels and some green apple. What yeast did you use?

next time, make some room in your frig, or a big ice bath in a rubbermaid container, if you can and cool overnite. If you are clean and sanitized, it should hold up overnight. Personally, Id rather risk the possible infection than know Ill have hot fusels and acetyladehyde.

Well, you probably stressed the yeast significantly with thermal shock. The lag phase is the yeast reproducting to meet the sugar content of the wort... had it started outgassing in the morning, or was it still in the lag phase when you saw it at 70°F? Other than fusels and acetyladehyde, you might get some unwanted fruity esters.

I tend to cool below my ferm temp, as fermentation is exothermic and will warm up the wort. As before, the flavor profile is developed in roughly the first 72hrs of fermentation. Best to keep them yeasty beasties happiest in the beginning.

Not much you can really do about it at this point, these are just things to consider for the future, so ultimately, RDWHAHB.

it started fermenting the next morning
i am going to build a wort cooler before i start batch 3
well my oktoberfest turned out nice and it was dry lager yeast pitched at 85

it started fermenting the next morning
i am going to build a wort cooler before i start batch 3
well my oktoberfest turned out nice and it was dry lager yeast pitched at 85

85 is still way too hot in my opinion for any ale yeast. Ideally you want to start in the low to mid 60's for most ales. Lager yeast should be even colder into the 50's

Unless you have a temp controlled area that you can keep the fermentation steady in the 50's your not gonna make clean lagers. You can make beer but nothing true to style for a lager.

85 is still way too hot in my opinion for any ale yeast. Ideally you want to start in the low to mid 60's for most ales. Lager yeast should be even colder into the 50's

Unless you have a temp controlled area that you can keep the fermentation steady in the 50's your not gonna make clean lagers. You can make beer but nothing true to style for a lager.

yeah i know i picked up the wrong kit when i got it but let me tell you its pretty clean tasting and its also pretty clear i guess the secondary was what made it so clear

Back