Belgian Abbey II 1762 yeast , Shake it, swirl it ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esmitee

Reaction score
I just did a Belgian Tripel Ale Extract batch AND, used the washed 1762 yeast from a DFH brew:

Ok, I'm at 20 days and checked FG, 1.022 @ 68*, I think with correction it's really 1.023? trying to warm it up. The temp is @ 70 now. Kept it @ 66* for about 16 days.

It's a little sweet, but very tasty and tastes like other tripel's I have drank. has a little kick to it, That is a Good thing.

Ya think I should sit on it for some more time, to get to a lower FG?. Should I Shake,swirl or rock it a little to suspend the yeast again?

OR, dump it to a keg and carb?

Never did a Tripel before. :mug:

I wouldn't shake it.

If anything, I'd probably sanitize the back-end of my brewing spoon and carefully open the carboy and stir it a few times, trying not to disturb the nice layer of CO2 sitting on top of the beer, in the head-space of the carboy. Something else you could try is transferring it to a secondary ferment (but there are dozens of threads dedicated to the discussion of whether secondary ferments to get cleaner beer are worth the risk of exposure to contaminants).

1) What was your OG?
2) Did you make a starter?
3) 1.022 is WAY too high for a tripel. The highest it should be is around 1.014.
4) Did you use any simple sugars in your recipe?

5) Basically, I need more info.
6) Warming it up is good, but 70* make not be high enough. Try 75*. Swirling may help, but you may risk oxidation.

I prefer the swirl method myself. Leave the carboy or bucket sealed up/airlock on and ever so gently swirl the vessel so that just the liquid moves. You shouldn't hear any sloshing otherwise you are moving the liquid too much, although I would imagine that due to the layer of co2 on top of the beer that if you did slosh it around, it would just be sloshing around in co2, but just to be safe go easy.

1) What was your OG?
2) Did you make a starter?
3) 1.022 is WAY too high for a tripel. The highest it should be is around 1.014.
4) Did you use any simple sugars in your recipe?

5) Basically, I need more info.
6) Warming it up is good, but 70* make not be high enough. Try 75*. Swirling may help, but you may risk oxidation.

Thanks Braufguss,

I forgot to post that I did make a 1 L starter and steped it up 1 time.

Og Was 1.078

Recipe:

5 Gal

60 min boil

6 Lbs German Pils LME @ Boil start

3 Lbs Light DME @ 20

1 Lbs Clear Candi Syurp @ 20

1 oz Hallertauer @ 60 Pellets

1 oz Czech @ 1 Pellets

Boiled 2.5 gal and at boil add the 6 lbs of LME to raise up to 3 gal.

Suggested to me to add the DME and and the Candi syurp @ 20 min

I did just that. However , on my glass-top stove it took 45 minutes to boil again.

I then went for the last 20 minutes of boil.

I top off to 5 gal with Pre-Boiled and Frozen Giant Ice cubes 4, Quart, and 2,1/2 gallon size cubes.

Pitched yeast @ 66*

Hope this helps :mug:

Let it go for more time. I usually count on at least 4-6 weeks for my Belgians, They take time to finish.

Here is a quote from Brew Like A Monk......

"Let the fermentation finish, perhaps at a higher temperature. It may take as long to get the last few points of attenuation as it did for the first 80%"

If you like Belgian beers BLAM is a great read with lots of good tips for brewing them.

Let it go for more time. I usually count on at least 4-6 weeks for my Belgians, They take time to finish.

Here is a quote from Brew Like A Monk......

"Let the fermentation finish, perhaps at a higher temperature. It may take as long to get the last few points of attenuation as it did for the first 80%"

If you like Belgian beers BLAM is a great read with lots of good tips for brewing them.

Thanks Beergolf, From the start ,I figured this brew was going to take some time from what I have read about Belgians.. Soo, I'll let it take it's time so I will enjoy it!..................But I really don't want to wait LOL

Sooo No shaking, swirling, or stiring for you ha!

Back