How much can one transport?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fw2007

Reaction score
Hi;
Does anyone know if there is a legal limit to the amount of beer one can transport across state line without a license to do so?
I am thinking of a 'road trip' to Ft. Collins to pick up some 1554 Ale and bringing it back to NJ.

FW

Probably depends on the state, county, etc... One of those situations where you probably are OK if you don't get caught for something else.

DISCLAIMER: McKBrew is not advocating the illegal transfer of alcoholic beverages. Be responsible and observe all state and local laws regarding the transfer, possession, and drinking of alcoholic beverages.

There IS a limit, and it's a federal limit so you can probably look it up easily if so inclined. I got nailed for this in college bringing kegs of beer across the Ohio river from Covington, KY to Cincinnati. It was considered "interstate bootlegging".

I don't know the actual amount, but I know that two kegs is considered more than the allowed "personal consumption" volume. One keg is fine for one person.

-walker

don't speed, don't wear a hat, don't smoke, don't do anything silly.
Also make sure all lights working in car, plenty of petrol, not too much weight to be visable, oil, window washer water, tyre pressures.

(me no do nothing c*ntstubble)

dibby33 said:
don't speed, don't wear a hat, don't smoke, don't do anything silly.
Also make sure all lights working in car, plenty of petrol, not too much weight to be visable, oil, window washer water, tyre pressures.

(me no do nothing c*ntstubble)

Yup. I actually got pulled over for speeding when this happened to me. The bootlegging thing was a bonus.

Load up the car and drive the speed limit. It's best to have a local person's car when you load up 20 cases of brew, then transfer it in a quite yet secure place to your NJ plated car.

Then as folks say, drive the speed limit and make sure your car does not have anything wrong with it.

And wait till you get home till you start drinking it too. :)

Very interesting and entertaining replies; Thanks guys.
In the mean time, I have been told that the New Belgium 'Fat Tire' is more widely available, so I think if I can find some in my own state it will suffice until I get to make my
'road trip'.

I loved the Smokey and the Bandit movie (the first one).

FW

Walker-san said:
There IS a limit, and it's a federal limit so you can probably look it up easily if so inclined. I got nailed for this in college bringing kegs of beer across the Ohio river from Covington, KY to Cincinnati. It was considered "interstate bootlegging".

-walker

So, uh, what exactly is the punishment these days for "interstate bootlegging"? Nothing like dealing with the local liquor commission fascists while you're in college... What a bunch of nice, open-minded, highly intelligent fellows...

fw2007 said:
Hi;
Does anyone know if there is a legal limit to the amount of beer one can transport across state line without a license to do so?
I am thinking of a 'road trip' to Ft. Collins to pick up some 1554 Ale and bringing it back to NJ.

FW

From the horse's mouth:

A person may personally purchase alcoholic beverages in another state and transport them into New Jersey only if (1) the alcoholic beverages are intended to be used solely for personal use and (2) the alcohol is personally transported in a vehicle into New Jersey. The amount of alcoholic beverages transported into New Jersey for personal use cannot exceed l/4 barrel or one case containing not in excess of 12 quarts of beer and one gallon of wine and two quarts of other alcoholic beverages within any consecutive period of 24 hours. If a person wishes to transport alcohol for personal use in excess of the above amounts, an application must be made to the Director, who if satisfied of the good faith of the applicant, and upon payment of a $50 fee, may issue a special permit permitting the transportation of alcohol into New Jersey in excess of the amounts listed above.

trinitone said:
From the horse's mouth:

A person may personally purchase alcoholic beverages in another state and transport them into New Jersey only if (1) the alcoholic beverages are intended to be used solely for personal use and (2) the alcohol is personally transported in a vehicle into New Jersey. The amount of alcoholic beverages transported into New Jersey for personal use cannot exceed l/4 barrel or one case containing not in excess of 12 quarts of beer and one gallon of wine and two quarts of other alcoholic beverages within any consecutive period of 24 hours. If a person wishes to transport alcohol for personal use in excess of the above amounts, an application must be made to the Director, who if satisfied of the good faith of the applicant, and upon payment of a $50 fee, may issue a special permit permitting the transportation of alcohol into New Jersey in excess of the amounts listed above.

Thasts one smart horse...

New Belgium also makes a Tripple. Might as well make it worth your while, get something they DON"T have in NJ. But Colorado has some odd laws about buying beer, only 3.2 on sunday?

Back