Smoke wood trade? Bradford Pear for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopjedi

Reaction score
Hi all, been getting into smoking using the standard store bought sacks of smoke wood, and have been having good results and lots of fun.
Anyway I have read that the Bradford pear is similar to the fruit bearing variety in terms of smoke flavor, and was hoping to get some additional feedback from someone more experienced on this topic.
I had a Bradford pear tree taken down last July, and am now ready to start processing the limbs and trunk into chunks if it is useable for smoking. Otherwise it is just firewood.
So if this wood is worthwhile for smoking, I would propose trading it for other varieties you may have a supply of. Hickory, apple, cherry, Alder, oak and used Bourbon barrel staves or chunks. I am in Livonia MI so local to metro Detroit. Figure even trade if that works for you. PM me if interested.

Bradford pear can be used for smoking. I personally do not care for it. Fruit bearing pear is tasty to smoke with. Check with tree trimming and removal companies for your wood. I found one a few minutes from home that always seems to have seasoned hickory, oak, and apple for me for by far less than I can get chunks at the store.

Back