Pliny the Failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwheel

Reaction score
I brewed the well published PtE two weeks ago, and overall went well. Prior to going into the secondary, it was at 1.011 and tasted great, although quite bitter (to be expected). Just sampled it after 8-9 days of dryhyopping (prior to adding the last 0.25 oz of each of the 3 hops), and it is EXTREMELY grassy. Certainly undrinkable at this point.

Is this typical? I know it will mellow a *little* with age, but with this recipe, I was under the impression that it should taste pretty good almost immediately.

Has anyone else experienced this?

It uses Centennial, Simcoe, and Columbus for dry hopping right? I've almost always taken away grassy flavors from Simcoe dry hops, unless they're a small-ish fraction of the dry hop blend. But that's just me, other people love Simcoe. I'd let it condition though, it'll probably be a lot more subdued when it makes it to your glass.

I know I'm jumping the gun, just wondering if anyone has tasted it at a similar point, had similar results, but it ended up OK. Thanks guys!

I've always found that if you put grassy hops in that is what is going to come out. Eventually it will fade. What is the source of your hops?

To get DIPAs tasting good immediately it's better to leave them in the primary for two and a half to three weeks and then rack to secondary for 4 or 5 days to dry hop. Then carb the keg by rocking it and start enjoying the next day. The hops will fade quickly (within two weeks), so drink fast.

RR dry hops the way they do because they need it to stay hoppy for several weeks after it's put into kegs and bottles. I normally end up kicking the keg in 4 - 7 days when I make IPAs and DIPAs.

Back