cleaning an immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainfever

Reaction score
I purchased a used immersion chiller. It has a bit of tarnish on it and I was wondering what is the best way to clean it? I know that putting it in the wort for the last 15 minutes of the boil will do it but I would rather clean the tarnish off first.

dip it in a bucket of star san for 10 minutes and most of the tarnish will be eaten away.... Any acid based cleanser should help do the trick.

dip it in a bucket of star san for 10 minutes and most of the tarnish will be eaten away.... Any acid based cleanser should help do the trick.

+1 I do this every time I use it because I don't want to boil it and mine is nice and sparkly.

Ketchup works wonders and is on hand and cheap. Try it cause it works really well.

Heating 3-5% vinegar and soaking and running through it works well too. Maybe not as well as Ketchup but it'll work.

Heating 3-5% vinegar and soaking and running through it works well too. Maybe not as well as Ketchup but it'll work.

+1 on vinegar solution. I dipped mine in some boiling water with vinegar in it for about 5 min. & it was very shiny coming out. Then I rinsed the vinegar water off with the hose & let dry hanging up.

Why do we have to fight? Just scrub it with ketchup and rinse it off with vinegar!

How about deli style dijon with horseradish. Not the cheap stuff either. :D

A word of warning though, unlike Star-San or Idophor, Dijon Mustard is NOT a no-rinse sanitizer. I learned this the hard way, though I have to say the resulting Mustard Porter was pretty snappy. The hops juxtaposed against the horseradish was very nice, though possibly a touch out of the style guidelines.

YMMV.

Back