Caps leaking C02?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludovico

Reaction score
My first batch of homebrew has been bottle conditioning for 10 days or so now and I got some bad news this morning. I gave a few bottles of it to a friend of mine who was in town, and he told me that the bottles tipped over in his car and C02 was fizzling out.

During bottling, my girlfriend was putting most of the caps on and I fear she may have not pushed hard enough on the capper. I plan to go through them all tonight and press the caps on harder tonight.. but is there anything else I can do? Will this affect the final carbonation?

It probably will, seeing as its been going for about 2 weeks at this point. I say just recap them (your first time it always takes more force than you would think), and then wait 3 more weeks. Then come back and assess the situation if they're still under carbonated.

If it helps, I usually cap my bottles forcefully then rotate them 90 degrees and crimp them again. I don't know if that does anything, but it does make me feel better about it.

My first batch of homebrew has been bottle conditioning for 10 days or so now and I got some bad news this morning. I gave a few bottles of it to a friend of mine who was in town, and he told me that the bottles tipped over in his car and C02 was fizzling out.

During bottling, my girlfriend was putting most of the caps on and I fear she may have not pushed hard enough on the capper. I plan to go through them all tonight and press the caps on harder tonight.. but is there anything else I can do? Will this affect the final carbonation?

Did you use twist off bottles vs the pry off ones. I heard the twist off ones will leak and that they should not be used for bottling. I use nothing but the pry off bottles and have never had an issue with them. Good luck !!! :mug:

I tried some bottles from Anchor Steam one time, they were smaller and I had a hard time getting a good crimp. Once I did, though, they carbed up fine.

When I was bottling I would fill and my girlfriend would cap. Not a single leak. Be careful about pushing too hard. Some of the guys on here have stories about breaking bottles while capping.

Back