Barleywine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SisterThelonious

Reaction score
I am fairly new to brewing and would like to attempt a barleywine. I have created (or attempted to create) a recipe that is an extract clone of Bigfoot barleywine. I would really appreciate some feedback that could help me to improve my recipe...any thoughts? The Recipe:

.5 lb Crystal 75
.5 lb Carapils
.50 lb Special B
.50 lb Pale Ale Malt
1 lb Crystal 15
1 lb Crystal 40
9 lbs DME
1 oz Chinook @ 60
1 oz Centennial @ 45
.50 oz Cascade @ 15
.50 oz Centennial @ 15
.25 oz Cascade @ 5
.25 oz Centennial @ 5
.25 oz of Cascade, Cent, and Chinook for dry hop

OG: 1.096
TG: 1.024

IBU: 87.4

Any suggestions?

Looks pretty good although I'm not to sure about the Special B addition. I'd also dry hop with a little more. 0.25 oz. Chinook Dry
0.25 oz. Cascade Dry
0.25 oz. Centennial Dry
Make a huge starter or use 2 packs of Safale S-05 (chico yeast) hydrated and oxygenate the crap out of the wort. That's my 2 cents. It's been awhile scince I had a Bigfoot.

Search for the 999 thread, think about using the specialty grains from that recipe.

Thats a whole lotta crystal (Special B is essentially Crystal). You will be making pancake syrup with that recipe.

Barleywines are going to have plenty of body, think about adding some corn sugar, dropping the crystal to 1, maybe 1.5 lbs, dropping carapils... Maybe add a little rye, toasted oats, something like that.

I personally would up the IBU to be in line with the OG, but thats just me. I do not like cloyingly sweet barleywines. I usually mash mine low to try to get a FG around 1.012 or so.

I am fairly new to brewing and would like to attempt a barleywine. I have created (or attempted to create) a recipe that is an extract clone of Bigfoot barleywine. I would really appreciate some feedback that could help me to improve my recipe...any thoughts? The Recipe:

.5 lb Crystal 75
.5 lb Carapils
.50 lb Special B
.50 lb Pale Ale Malt
1 lb Crystal 15
1 lb Crystal 40
9 lbs DME
1 oz Chinook @ 60
1 oz Centennial @ 45
.50 oz Cascade @ 15
.50 oz Centennial @ 15
.25 oz Cascade @ 5
.25 oz Centennial @ 5
.25 oz of Cascade, Cent, and Chinook for dry hop

OG: 1.096
TG: 1.024

IBU: 87.4

Any suggestions?

Always willing to help a lady out!
I would use 1/2 # of each
75 40 and 15
I like the use of the pale ale malt to add a little more depth keep the carapills
maybe drop the special B, I don't know, I kind of like it in a barleywine. But s3n8 has a good point. Use a BIG starter or pitch 2 vials I like WLP 001 for this kind of beer, but that’s just me.
I like the hop schedule! Looks yummy.
How long you been brewing?
Cheers
Jay

Back