Saison Recipe: Questions and Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
So after my previous thread on the Wit bier, I changed it over to a Saison. Here's my ingredients list as it stands.

10 lbs. pale malt

2 lbs. white wheat malt

1 lbs. rye malt

1 lbs. golden naked oats

1 lbs biscuit malt

1 lbs. clear candi sugar (may change it to 2)

Wyeast Saison 3724

Just a few questions before I brew this one out on Saturday. Since this will be a 7 gallon batch, how much orange peel would I want to add for a nice citrus zing, without being overpowering? Also, when would I add it? Can anyone let me know if cardamom would be a good spice to throw in? I have some on hand and would like to know how much, and when, to use. Finally, I haven't used golden naked oats before and am wondering if it's good to go as it is and if it doesn't require a protein rest or something of that sort.

Though I really don't have any true noble hops on hand, let me list the hops that I do have at the moment. Perhaps someone can make a recommendation on the hop schedule for me. Sure, I could make a guess, but your input is always appreciated.

Mt. Hood, Galena, Olympic, Liberty, Hallertau, Tettnang, Saaz, Centennial, Nugget and of course hop suey.

Does anyone want to offer an insight on how or when to use the orange peel? I haven't done it before, and though I have a general idea, I'm not entirely sure.

5-10 minutes left in the boil, 1/2 to 1 full ounce, pending your want of flavoring. I usually use a whole ounce.

not sure how the whole 'oat' in a saison thing will work out. I just did one with a good bit of regular flaked oat, so I'll know in a few weeks.

Tett, and definately Saaz at the end.

Thanks, jezter. I suppose it doesn't really matter what I use for my bittering hops at 90 minutes, then, as long as my IBUs are correct, right?

Probably not. I used Sorachi Ace when I did it, and it was fantastic and they're a fairly harsh flavor for most people.

Unfortunately, style for Saison is all over the map. The IBU range is that of an APA, but I've never really had an ultra hoppy Saison. Most of it is the peppery/dirty flavor of the yeast and the citrus from the zest that makes me enjoy it.

I had Clipper City (Maryland) saison last night and it was pretty darn good. It's no Saison Dupont or Hennepin, but it wasn't bad.

Looks good, but I'm not sure how the biscuit will factor into the flavor profile. I rec'd using bitter orange at 10-15 minutes. Also, honey is a nice substitute for candi, and will add delicate floral note if added a day or two after pitching.

Hal

Latest posts

Back