crazy question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmeyer46

Reaction score
could a person kill off the yeast before backsweetening by heating the ( in my case twisted tea) before adding the sugar? Would the high temps kill the yeast?
Not planning on carbing it, so having any beasties left is a non issue.
just thinking, why couldn't you heat it to a temp to kill the yeast, cool it, then backsweeten and bottle?
what temp would you need and is it feasible?
I know you can add chemicals to stop fermentation, just thinking a different route. :confused:
thanks

Heating will kill the yeast (pasteurization) but also affect the delicate flavors of your wine. Use potassium sorbate to neuter your yeast and they will die off and not affect the taste.

You would also probably cook off a good amount of the alcohol in the process

from what I've understood, if you put the lid on, that the alcohol will go back into solution...not sure how it would affect the tea...just a thought! Thanks

It's not like you're boiling the stuff for hours so it evaporates. You just hit 140º or so for 5 minutes and then cool it down.

When you pasteurize in the bottle you know that everything in the bottle is clean. By heating prebottling than cooling than bottling, you risk infection at any point until the bottle is sealed.

Back