ABV in Bottle vs Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-Brew

Reaction score
I am looking for input in regard to any increased ABV due to priming sugar additions when bottling a home brew. I am not sure it is much, but it seems to me that there should be some increase. If I brew a batch, keg 1/2 and bottle the other 1/2 with priming sugar, would the bottles have a higher ABV?

Thanks.

Bottles will have a negligible amount more alcohol. You essentially are only adding something like half a tsp of added sugar so you really will not notice much difference. Just think of it as you adding the 4 oz or so of corn sugar to the grain bill for the bottles.

if you figure a 2 point drop is required to carb up to around 2.5 volumes you're looking at an increase of .2% abv

If you plug 5 ounces of priming sugar into a recipe calculator you will see that it contributes .003 gravity points to the beer. Is that a significant amount? Not to me it is.

you're right it's not a significant amount but it is an increase of .2%-.3% to answer their question.

I appreciate everyone's contributions here. To answer Revvy's question, no, I did not think it would be much, but I assumed it would be SOMETHING. By looking at Jester's math, it appears that I was onto something. I realize it is minimal, but as I attempt to recreate some of my recipes, the more detailed my numbers, the better I will see just how close I came.
Thanks again to each of you.

Back