BIAB batch sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadmx08

Reaction score
So i have been doing BIAB (brew in a bag) for awhile now. Usually the only sparging I do is 170F fresh water. Quute often ill end up with some amount of husk material in my wort.

Today I brewed a n American Amber ale. I decided on the fly to try a sparge, with something i just thought of. After the mash I placed my grain bag on my caulendar as usual. This time I siphoned water out if the brew kettle into a 1 gallon container then set the container on a shelf and siphoned back over the grain bag. Got pretty good at keeping the siphoning hose full after a few times. The wort really cleaned up after a few gallons. I did this for awhile then used my 170F water at the end. Does anyone else do this?

>. Quute often ill end up with some amount of husk material in my wort.

Sounds like you need a better bag, with a thinner (but not too thin) mesh.

Maybe try a wilserbrewer bag.

I have done this. I have been Playing with Sparge methods for Biab for a while with mixed results. I just found out what oversparging is...

ArcLight said:
>. Quute often ill end up with some amount of husk material in my wort.

Sounds like you need a better bag, with a thinner (but not too thin) mesh.

Maybe try a wilserbrewer bag.

I have tried other bags, but the y generally do not fit my large diameter pot and are a pain to deal with. If you aren't careful you end up with grain in the pot. Ill look at those bags, might end up building a mash tun or making my own thinner mesh bag.

I have tried other bags, but the y generally do not fit my large diameter pot and are a pain to deal with. If you aren't careful you end up with grain in the pot. Ill look at those bags, might end up building a mash tun or making my own thinner mesh bag.

The bag I mentioned was custom made, to fit my pots diameter.

Back