Delayed yeast addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
I will be brewing a belgian dubbel this weekend but will only be getting the yeast on Sunday night. My plan is to keep the fermentation bucket in the swamp cooler untill the starter is ready which will take about two/three days.
How big is the risk of infection (assuming everything is kept clean) by not adding the yeast straight away ?

I will be brewing a belgian dubbel this weekend but will only be getting the yeast on Sunday night. My plan is to keep the fermentation bucket in the swamp cooler untill the starter is ready which will take about two/three days.
How big is the risk of infection (assuming everything is kept clean) by not adding the yeast straight away ?

It should be ok but things that make me hesiant to do that is any thing that made it thru the boil or happened to ride in on a dust particle would have that much of a head start on the yeast
And lots of bacteria has a really fast count doubling time. if you have the ability to get the wort down to fridge temps I think that it would help out alot

Back