Skeeterpee 2 questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCollector

Reaction score
Ok so I moved my skeeterpee to secondary last night and added my sparkloid and kmeta and potassium sorbate. I think I messed up my sparkloid . I boiled it for 5 minutes as per directions. But I let it cool quite a bit before I poured it into my secondary. I then racked my skeeterpee ontop of the sparkloid. Now I've got a sparkloid "turd" floating around in there... So what now? Boil more sparkloid and dump it in my better bottle immediately?

Next question... I overshot my volume and ended up with a healthy 6 gallons at time of secondary so I moved 5 gallons into a better bottle and 1 gallon into a 1 gallon jug. I added the sparkloid , kmeta and potassium sorbate into the better bottle as per directions. So how do I know how much of each additive to put in the 1 gallon jug?

Thanks to all of you!

[ 1406024350394.jpg

Attachments

• 1406024367061.jpg
    1406024367061.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 105
LOL. I actually laughed at the "turd"! I'd leave it for character. I good, um conversation piece...

Ok so I moved my skeeterpee to secondary last night and added my sparkloid and kmeta and potassium sorbate. I think I messed up my sparkloid . I boiled it for 5 minutes as per directions. But I let it cool quite a bit before I poured it into my secondary. I then racked my skeeterpee ontop of the sparkloid. Now I've got a sparkloid "turd" floating around in there... So what now? Boil more sparkloid and dump it in my better bottle immediately?

Next question... I overshot my volume and ended up with a healthy 6 gallons at time of secondary so I moved 5 gallons into a better bottle and 1 gallon into a 1 gallon jug. I added the sparkloid , kmeta and potassium sorbate into the better bottle as per directions. So how do I know how much of each additive to put in the 1 gallon jug?

Thanks to all of you!

Id say do the sparklloid again in the 5 gal. As for the one gallon, taste it without the sparklloid and see if your ok with it. Ive made well over 100 gallons of the stuff and I don't clear it anymore if its just going on tap at my house. If its a gift or being made expressly for someone else I'll clear it. I don't think its a big enough difference to bother.

Glad I could make you laugh! I think I might call it skeeter-turds-n-pee LOL! will re-do the sparkloid and for the 1 gallon you guys think I could use splenda to backsweeten and if so how much for 1 gallon? Then use fizz drops when I bottle and see if they will carb? Have a few sparkling bottles?

Glad I could make you laugh! I think I might call it skeeter-turds-n-pee LOL! will re-do the sparkloid and for the 1 gallon you guys think I could use splenda to backsweeten and if so how much for 1 gallon? Then use fizz drops when I bottle and see if they will carb? Have a few sparkling bottles?

Fizz drops wont carb it because you already hit it with Kmeta and sorbate . If you want your next batch carbed you will have to backsweeten and pasturize to stop fermentation. Some people do use Splenda as a backsweetener but personally I just prefer table sugar to taste. I also love playing around with Kool aid flavors to flavor batches. I tend to use one Kool Aid pack per gallon.

The kmeta only hit the better bottle. I did that as I was transferring so it never touched the 1 gallon

Back