Question about bottling a Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VApatriot

Reaction score
I have a Belgian Tripel in my secondary right now and am wondering about how much bottling sugar to use when I get ready to bottle it. I made the NB Belgian Tripel extract kit but didn't boil it all the way down from 6 to 5 gal. I ended up with 5 1/2 gal (thought I was losing too much to evaporation as it was kind of cold out in my garage when brewing). The O.G. was 1.064, I used White Labs Belgian Yeast Blend yeast (WLP 575) and after 2 weeks in the primary my gravity is down to 1.012. I racked it over to the secondary, washed my yeast for my next batch (Dubbel kit from NB), so now I'm going to let it hang in the secondary for a couple of weeks then bottle before Thanksgiving. I am wondering if I should use more than the standard 4oz of corn sugar (how much more?) or just add 1 teaspoon of table sugar to the 4 oz of corn sugar and wait. I'm planning on letting this one bottle condition for about 6 months or so, because I've read that a Tripel (even though the O.G. wasn't very high) will be really good if you let it age a long time. What do you all think? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Here are some charts to figure it all out. http://byo.com/resources/carbonation

I'm gonna guess you will want a tripel to have a high amount of carbonation. I would shoot for a total of 3+ volumes.

I think it would be ready to drink in a few weeks after bottling but may improve with some time.

I'm not really sure on how many volumes of co2 standard bottles can hold. On my Belgian beers I usually look for heavier glass to put anything over 3 volumes of co2 in.

I only use standard (new) 12oz longneck bottles. From looking at that chart, I fermented at 68 deg. F and if I want to get 3.5 volumes of co2, I would need to use almost 7 oz of corn sugar. I don't know but that seems like a lot to me. I really don't want to make bottle bombs here, just want a nicely carbed beer.

I'd say to stay below 3 volumes with those long necks... not 100% sure on this, but I recall that being about the safe threshold.

Also, I think the temperature is the current temp, not fermentation temp, so if you still have it at 86 use that, but if it is now room temp us that.

See if you can collect some champagne or Martineles (sp?) bottles over the holidays, those can easily hold those high volumes of CO2.

86F? Wow that is some hot fermentation! Yeah you will definitely want to let that age for several months to let the fusel alcohol flavors subside.

Otherwise I think you have read the chart correctly 7 oz of sugar will get you to 3.5 volumes. Use strong bottles and all should be good.

My bad - just a little dyslexic typing, really fermented at 68deg. F. Currently, the house ranges between 63-70 deg F while in the secondary.

Back