First AG attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastAndy

Reaction score
Hi all, i'm going to attempt my first all grain 2.5 gallon SMaSH tonight using the BIAB method.

6lb Maris otter
.5 ounce Willamette @60 min
.5 ounce Willamette @5 min

Any suggestions or thougts?

Wish me luck

Don't freak out or obsess about your mash temp. Like the man says, relax, have a home brew.

Looks like a light and refreshing grain bill and hop schedule. Don't freak out about your mash temp but... yeah keep it pretty close to your target temp. That grain bill is highly fermentable and thus is one that will benefit by a slightly higher mash temp due to the lack of crystal malts (or other similar unfermentable sugars). The higher temp will activate an enzyme that converts starches to a sugar chain that is harder for yeast to break and will lend to more body and better flavor in the end. 153 - 154 F is probably a good temp range to shoot for.

Thanks for the input. I was looking for some thing simple that would help me grasp base grains and hop characteristics. The guy at my LHBS suggested a temp of 150, i figured i could get close to that throw a sleeping bag on it and let it work its magic for an hour.

Back