Pitching Temp - Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
Of course on the third brew I over compensated and added too much chilled water to my fermentor. The wort temp is currently 60deg. I know pitching temp is 70 deg, so can I put the lid and airlock on the fermentor and wait for it to warm up before pitching? (Note, my starter is at about 70 deg and is still pretty actively fermenting.)

Thanks for the response, yeah, everything is sanitized and I put the airlock in like I would for fermentarion so I figure nothing new can get in there. Hopefully I can pitch in a few hours.

So, I ended up pitching at about 65 deg (it took 6.5 hours to get to that point and I didn't want to leave it overnight). I pitched a 1 pint starter of white labs that was still actively fermenting so hopefully that will help get a heathly fermentation going. If not, I have a packet of dry yeast as a backup if there's no activity after 48 hours or so.

Just have to RDWHAHB.

Dude, I swear we are on the same wavelength as this EXACT scenario happened to me late Saturday afternoon. Wort in the primary was about 62F and rehydrated yeast was around 78F. I knew from past experience that I didn't want to shock the yeast and what I didn't know was how long the yeast would stay hydrated before dying out with nothing to eat. I dipped my thermometer in the wort to check the temperature and then put it in the yeast. Boy, them babies were hungry. Just the wort residue off of the thermometer made them start fermenting like crazy. Anyway, what to do with a way to cool wort? I came up with a hot bath. Fill the sink with hot tap water, put the whole primary bucket in the sink and then stir from time to time. After about 30 minutes, temp on the primary came up to about 70 and the yeast dropped to about 74. Good enough. About 6 hours later, the bubbler was quite active. I need a better plan to cool the wort evenally after boil. Wort chiller is looking better and better already.

Back