Well, she is pissed off again at my brewing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty

Reaction score
I bought a perlick faucet yesterday so I can stick it in the door of my beer fridge. The wife is not really pissed, she just shook her head. I don't think she get suprised anymore at the things I do in the name of BEER.

I have a huge rubbermaid container full of bleach water and 66 Sleeman's bottles in the bathroom. Yesterday I thanked my wife for putting up with my hobbies, and she said I never really give her an option. I told her that's why I was thanking her. :)

The trick is when your wife starts to complain you need to find a temperary hobby more annoying then the hobby you actually want to do. When she starts to b1tch about the new hobby you can go back to the old one :tank:

Pumbaa said:
The trick is when your wife starts to complain you need to find a temperary hobby more annoying then the hobby you actually want to do. When she starts to b1tch about the new hobby you can go back to the old one :tank:

Excellent. How about philandering as the new hobby?

That would solve the problem one way or another, I imagine :p

My wife mostly bristles at the endless succession of nickle and dime equipment purchases. She's apparently under the impression that there comes a time when a brewer has everything and only needs to purchase ingredients.

Laughable, isn't it?

Edit: actually, I should probably show her the photos some of you guys have up of your setups. She has no idea how restrained I am in that regard.

When I met my wife I was kayaking ~80 days a year and Raleigh is about 3-7 hrs from the good stuff in the mountains == weekends, holidays, vacations. I also had a pretty close scrape the week before our wedding on my kayaking 'bachelor' party. Now any hobby that keeps me on our property or at least in the zipcode seems like a good compromise to her.

cweston said:
Excellent. How about philandering as the new hobby?

That would solve the problem one way or another, I imagine :p

My wife mostly bristles at the endless succession of nickle and dime equipment purchases. She's apparently under the impression that there comes a time when a brewer has everything and only needs to purchase ingredients.

Laughable, isn't it?
I actually used to think that. Now I know when I go in to make my $12.00 purchase for ingredients it will end up costing me over $30.00.
I know my wife doesn't care for me brewing all that much but I've got to give her credit. She doesn't give me a hard time about it.

My wife occasionally gets perturbed about some of the equipment purchases, but I have to give her credit, she is a sweetheart and pretty much lets me do anything I want to do...provided it isn't illegal or cheating. :D

My wife has nothing to complain about. She bought me my first setup for Christmas a few years back. It's all her fault!!!!
:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

2nd Street Brewery said:
My wife has nothing to complain about. She bought me my first setup for Christmas a few years back. It's all her fault!!!!

LOL....I've not used that one yet (waiting until conical fermenter time), but damn straight! She's the moron that bought me the kit!!! LOL.....

2nd Street Brewery said:

That's what I was smiling about when I saw women come into the LHBS before Christmas and getting the starter kits. I thought to myself: "Do you know, what you are getting your SO into?"

Baron von BeeGee said:
When I met my wife I was kayaking ~80 days a year and Raleigh is about 3-7 hrs from the good stuff in the mountains == weekends, holidays, vacations. I also had a pretty close scrape the week before our wedding on my kayaking 'bachelor' party. Now any hobby that keeps me on our property or at least in the zipcode seems like a good compromise to her

I hear you man. It was climbing for me and I was able to keep it up until she started to get really sick from her second pregnancy. Now I just don't feel like leaving her alone for a whole day or even a weekend. That's why I'm looking forward to moving back to New England soon. There she has family that can help her and I can go to the Mountains again. Even on overnight trips once in a while.

Kai

I received Papazian's book as a gift a few years ago and was met with a resolute, "No way are you stinking up our nice clean kitchen". Fast forward to about a couple of months ago and a co-worker mentioned his homebrewing habit, which of course triggered a flood of questions from me, including the potential 'stink up the house' factor. He laughed and said, "nothing to it, just smells like fresh-baked bread!", which was juuuuust enough to convince my wife to give it a go. Needless to say, nobody who comes over during a brew session thinks we're baking bread :D To her credit, she does claim to like the beer and has chalked this up to 'another one of his adventures'

Kaiser said:
I hear you man. It was climbing for me and I was able to keep it up until she started to get really sick from her second pregnancy. Now I just don't feel like leaving her alone for a whole day or even a weekend. That's why I'm looking forward to moving back to New England soon. There she has family that can help her and I can go to the Mountains again. Even on overnight trips once in a while.

Kai
That's actually why I moved down towards F-V instead of another location...we're only about 30 minutes from my parents which should buy me the occasional free pass. But since my wife has no interest whatsoever in kayaking, and is at best ambivalent about camping, I've basically traded kayaking for mountain biking which I can easily do locally before or after work to my heart's content. I also don't miss all the hours on the highway, and with gas like it is...!

2nd Street Brewery said:

Same here man, she bought me the starter kit. Come to think of it, I don't think there is any part of that original kit that I use anymore, except maybe the hydrometer. Doesn't matter- it's still her fault!

Mine is pissed right now too. Shes pregnant and has maybe 2-3 weeks left. She made me promise to keep a 12 pack of my first brew just for her. Its now down to 3 that she has hiden somewhere.

I mean, come on.....I tried. Isnt it the thought that counts? :mug:

My wife's main problem is all of the bottles laying around. That was the way that I convinced her to let me buy the kegging set up. But I haven't thrown away any of my bottles yet. I just keep waiting for her to key in on that one.

JimmyBeam said:
Mine is pissed right now too. Shes pregnant and has maybe 2-3 weeks left. She made me promise to keep a 12 pack of my first brew just for her. Its now down to 3 that she has hiden somewhere.

I mean, come on.....I tried. Isnt it the thought that counts? :mug:

I plowed through all of my Amber before my wife gave birth. Needless to say, I was not allowed to tap my first keg until we were home and settled with baby in tow.

2nd Street Brewery said:

Exactly the same here! I think she saw it as some kind of novelty thing that I'd use once and forget about. Little did she know.....

I just wish she liked beer. The only two she has ever tried and liked are Lindemanns (any flavor) and some terribly expensive Flanders red. I'm not likely to replicate either anytime soon.

Then again, whenever I look in the mirror I realize that maybe it's not so bad that she doesn't care for it.

swmbo bought me the first kit for christmas 2004
now she says i can buy the turkey fryer set up this weekend for my birthday in may
i got a gooood one fellas!

cweston said:

It's no different than any other hobby - there's always more stuff to get! :D

My wife is cool with it she cant say it was a suprise because when we where dating I use to make her help me bottle! She would probably be :mad: on a SS conical purchase though!

Well gents I may have you all beat in the coolness department. I actually brew beer for my wife. She demands stout and therefore every third batch or so I put one on... what once was a hobby is now a part-time job! We always sit together and critique stout and porter (the only beer she likes).

What can I say other than, marry an Irish lass.:mug:

Pumbaa said:

BRILLIANT !

Mine is not a huge beer fan either. She'll have a B, or M, every once in a while (NEVER a C) But I bring home samplers and the resounding mantra is, "I don't like dark beer"

However...

She's been really tolerant of my recent obsession to resume brewing and really didn't give me a hard time about the new primaries... So I guess I'm a lucky guy... I do the majority of the cleaning about the house so it's really not an issue as far as that goes...

NOW, if she arranges that turkey fryer for Father's Day like I asked her...

You'll REALLY be looking at this F#&*er.... :ban:

:D Take Back the Taste Gang...

Ize

got my turkey fryer today!
today is the last brew day with 3 stock pots on the oven trying to prevent 3 boil overs at once

rod said:
got my turkey fryer today!
today is the last brew day with 3 stock pots on the oven trying to prevent 3 boil overs at once

you'll wonder now why you never bought one in the first place. :D

Dude said:
Women just don't understand.

Back off, bub! I'm a woman **takes a quick peak to make sure** and my husband is the one that doesn't understand! I found a 50 dollar kegerator on ebay (after just getting one for my b-day) and he told me that if I bought it, he'd need to take us to therapy. But it was fifty dollars!! (what he doesn't know, doesn't hurt him) I found it a great home and got my money back.

He bought me the dummies guide to homebrewing for our ANNIVERSARY. And now complains about all the weekend time I spend in the kitchen. Usually barefoot. But not pregnant!

I'm actally worried about that. I don't know how I'm going to be able to stop brewing/enjoying whenever I get over my fear of small humans...

Anyway, there are LOTS of understanding women who enjoy homebrewing just as much as you macho asses. ;)

:ban:

:D

i know rhonda doesn't particularly enjoy my hobby but it's gotten better since i moved it out doors a while back. i even got away with brewing in the garage, which is attached to the house this winter.

her basic rule, though they've never officially ben hashed out, seems to be; touch/take none of her baking/mixing equipment out of the kitchen for use in brewing, and do not leave empty bottles upstairs. any empties she tosses on sight, unless they're in the basement, then they can grow ripe with mold and mutating yeast. i've rescued a few too many 22 oz bottles outta the garbage can that i've rinsed out in the kitchen sink, but left on the counter.

also i found, not leaving my carboys ontop of the washing machine in the basement, is a good policy to follow, cause she hid one on me this last weekend.....:p

DeadSquirrel said:
Anyway, there are LOTS of understanding women who enjoy homebrewing just as much as you macho asses.

rollin1qy.gif

That just came out funny. ;)

In my department (at my university), it's the women who are interested when I bring homebrew to parties. They want to taste it and are interested in how to make it. The guys either don't drink or don't have any interest in brewing themselves. Go figure.

Wow. . .I strangely feel threatened by DeadSquirrel. . .

My wife, for some odd reason, does not seem to mind my brewing ONE BIT (although she doesn't like me taking up her kitchen). When I was whining incessantly about building a brew sculpture or possibly buying one, she grabbed my computer when I went to the BR, found the sculpture I wanted from morebeer.com (model 1500 with the HERMS, and all the frills), and ORDERED THE DANG THING!!! I'm still trying to figure that one out. She either really loves me, or she wants something, or she's trying to hide something. I think its former. Maybe DeadSquirrel can answer that one since she's female. :D

The irony to this thread is that in the Middle ages. when every castle, inn and farmhouse brewed it's own beer, the women were the brewers. It was all lumped in with the womanly duties of the kitchen.

Latest posts

Back