1st batch, electric stove issues...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydog2314

Reaction score
So I brewed up my first batch on Sunday evening using an electric stove, brewed Autumn Amber Ale kit from Midwest Supplies. Had no problem steeping my grains but then after 90 mins of unsuccessfully trying to get my 2+ gallons to a rolling boil I found an answer. I had to move my brew kettle over both the large(front) and small(rear) heating element along with putting the lid on to get a boil and maintain it. So here is my question after it taking close to 2 hours to get that boil going will my batch be comprised? Everything else seems to be fine, pitched my yeast and 11 hours after pitching the airlock was bubbling like crazy. Just curious if any thinks that long delay from steeping the grains to getting a boil will affect the final product? Thanks in advance!!!

yeah i'm already planning ahead and thinking propane is the way to go for the next batch

That's great if you can afford it & have a place to use it. Not to mention freezing your beeps off this time of year. I had the same problem with the stock heating elements. I have a link in My Profile for some way better ones on amazon. They can go from mash temp to boiling in 18 minutes. That's 3 gallons in a 5 gallon BK for me.

uniondr, thanks. I checked out your link looks good but unfortunately my electric stove is the flat top ceramic kind. thanks though.

Propane will get you there in no time. Save gas even if you bring up your pot to your stove's max temp and then put the pot on propane. Works well if you are doing extracts. Steep grains, get to your temp, turn off heat, add lme or your dme, stir and move over for boil time.

I look for opportunities to cut costs wherever I can!

241 said:
Propane will get you there in no time. Save gas even if you bring up your pot to your stove's max temp and then put the pot on propane. Works well if you are doing extracts. Steep grains, get to your temp, turn off heat, add lme or your dme, stir and move over for boil time.

I look for opportunities to cut costs wherever I can!

How about cutting the opportunity to trip and spill 2.5 gallons of scolding wort all over yourself? If you are moving boiling liquid around its only a matter of time...just my .02.

I was at an appliances repair place today.
The guy was talking about the things that go out on a stove and what usually causes it
He was talking about how the Mexicans have a much higher occurrence of one particular problem with their stoves.
There is a little black control unit of some sort that the burner plugs into, and it seems like it is subject to failure due to excess heat.
The heat load that they have is caused by the way they ( the Mexican population ) cook.
They have a large pot that completely covers the whole burner and they have it on high for fairly long times causing excess heat and burning out the unit.

Does this sound like the way we brew on a stove?

When he told me that, I told him about making beer on the stove.
He said that would certainly be able to do it. When I told him that it's for an hour long boil he said that is almost certainly why my burner isn't getting as hot as it use to.

I know that from now on even if I were to decide to do an extract brew, I will do it on the propane burner.

Back