losing 10% body weight in 2 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF you include exercise, and change your diet enough, shouldn't be too tough. I did about that, maybe more, in under two months several years back... Cut out soda, reduce beer (NOT going to say stop, I'm not insane you know), drink more water, and a few other things and you really could do it... I think the key is really to get a decent workout going. I hate treadmills, and most exercise machines, so I ended up just using the bike (at the gym)... Would go for 30-60 minutes there, getting a strong cardio workout.

You'll probably be miserable for the first week or two. Once you get past that, you'll be doing better...

Oh, if you put anything in your coffee in the morning (milk, sugar, etc.) change to drinking it black.

I would probably stop drinking beer for that time.

For what it's worth I'm currently in a weight loss bet and do keep drinking beer, although I changed my preferred glass to a sampler glass instead of a pint. So far I'm down about 5% a week and a half in.

Also I have been exercising but not a huge amount. Like maybe running 3 miles every other day, although I managed to hurt my back this weekend so I haven't run since Saturday morning.

I like the South Beach lost 25lbs (more than 10 percent) in about two months. I also cycle daily commute to work or on a trainer. I was able to keep it off through the winter even though I couldnt cycle as often. It is an easy diet for me to maintain on even with the amount of beer I put away on the weekends.

I heard of someone dropping from 255 to 220 in a few days, roughly 14%, for a weigh-in and managed to gain back 30 of those pounds in 24 hours. So entirely possible to do if scale weight is you only concern. If daily performance and/or health is a concern it would certainly be more difficult.

I would say it depends on what you are starting at. If you are bigger, its easier to lose weight. Diet and exercise are the way to go. You have to get into a routine of exercising to its gets the point you feel bad if you dont go. Make a food diary. Calorieking.com is good for nutritional info. The diary will really help you find places to cut the calories. Good luck

Not hard, I have done it and am on that course right now. depends on what your starting weight is too, though.

I eat 6 times a day, and workout and am losing quickly. dropped 2 pants sizes so far! :ban:

for me, late last summer, 35 pounds in six weeks (doctor documented 257 to 222lbs) by going on the Primal Blueprint (look it up) which involves cutting out all grains, starches, processed foods, legumes, bread, pasta, dairy, etc. Meat and green veggies, nuts, berries! My one concession was beer, but no more than two beers twice a week. I also amped up the exercise, cycling 30-60 miles a day at a moderate pace (15-20 mph) six days a week. marksdailyapple.com for more info on going Primal.

Edit: and I am 50, by the way; at 22 you ought to have the energy of.. well, a 22-year old!

I started the south beach diet last week as I got about 20lbs I'm looking to lose before June. The first few days without any carbs was pretty rough, not to mention going without beer. Though I started to let myself have a half pint a day so long as I get in some snowshoeing or weights.

I started the south beach diet last week as I got about 20lbs I'm looking to lose before June. The first few days without any carbs was pretty rough, not to mention going without beer. Though I started to let myself have a half pint a day so long as I get in some snowshoeing or weights.

I drink what I want on Fridays and Saturdays but I still eat healthy and ride my bike. I was able to lose several pounds a week and still drink beer. That was after the first two weeks. :tank:

How much do you weigh?

This.

I weight 170 and I'm 5'11". I'd be hard pressed to lose 17lbs in 2 months in any healthy sort of manor (i.e. without losing major amounts of muscle mass.) I might be able to cut off ~10lbs in 2 months and shed about 5lbs in water weight before final weigh in...but thatd still put me under.

If you're under 6'2 and weight over 200-220lbs, you can cut 20lbs off in 2 months.

This.

I weight 170 and I'm 5'11". I'd be hard pressed to lose 17lbs in 2 months in any healthy sort of manor (i.e. without losing major amounts of muscle mass.) I might be able to cut off ~10lbs in 2 months and shed about 5lbs in water weight before final weigh in...but thatd still put me under.

If you're under 6'2 and weight over 200-220lbs, you can cut 20lbs off in 2 months.

If you are 5' 11" and only weigh 170 why would you want to drop any weight, let alone 17lbs? I am 5' 11" and right now am at about 230. I started in 2008 at over 250, dropped down to just over 200 and screwed it all up last year. but, am at it hard again now. I only want to get down to 190, that is too thin for me I think. at 200 I was pretty ripped, so 190 I should be good and solid. Like the OP, I am in a contest (2nd time with my brother) and don't intend to lose! :rockin:

A few beers here and there won't kill anybody. just like all things in life, overindulgance is what gets ya!

If you are 5' 11" and only weigh 170 why would you want to drop any weight, let alone 17lbs? I am 5' 11" and right now am at about 230. I started in 2008 at over 250, dropped down to just over 200 and screwed it all up last year. but, am at it hard again now. I only want to get down to 190, that is too thin for me I think. at 200 I was pretty ripped, so 190 I should be good and solid. Like the OP, I am in a contest (2nd time with my brother) and don't intend to lose! :rockin:

A few beers here and there won't kill anybody. just like all things in life, overindulgance is what gets ya!

I was making a point.... OP asked how hard it was.

I was 200 at this time last year, and I dropped all that in ~5 months and I've been working at maintaining.

I'm 6'1 and have gone from 220 to 214 in 12 days, cutting out alcohol, processed foods, added sugar (can have raw honey and fruit, etc.), gluten, eggs, dairy, soy, caffeine, and most meat. It's not for weight loss, per se, but it's having that effect. I also haven't worked out a bit because I broke my foot a week ago. If I could get on a treadmill or even walk my dog, I would have lost a couple more.

I have 9 more days on this diet, then a date with whatever Sun Up brewing has on cask. :mug:

Not to mention what a 3 week break will do for your pipeline if you manage to brew and not drink.

I would say it depends on what you are starting at. If you are bigger, its easier to lose weight. Diet and exercise are the way to go. You have to get into a routine of exercising to its gets the point you feel bad if you dont go. Make a food diary. Calorieking.com is good for nutritional info. The diary will really help you find places to cut the calories. Good luck

This! It's much easier to lose 25 pounds if you weigh 250 than 15 pounds if you weigh 150! I know this from experience. My weight creeped up from 135 to nearly 150 pounds over a year or so. I wanted to get back to my regular weight. It was not very easy to lose 14 pounds! But starting at 149 made it slow going.

It happened in about 4 months, with the first 10 pounds coming off super fast. That last four took three months. I didn't give up beer, and I've always exercised, but I cut carbs and exercised a bit more.

210pounds

Easy peasy fatso.:D Unless you're 6'5".

I weigh 175 and can get to 160 in six weeks. Just depends on how big the bet is. Drink LOTS of water, eat lots of chicken breast's and veggies and hit the treadmill and weights.

_

You sound like a candidate for the beer diet...

BTW... How do you embed a video into a post?

I guess you just add a link.

Last edited by a moderator:
210pounds

Easily doable. I did/do what's called the Paleo diet (same as the 'Primal Blueprint'). Stick to it pretty loosely throughout, but will do it really strong for several months in the summer and it keeps me pretty lean. Even while continuing beer drinking (my only exception), in the first summer I started I dropped 25 pounds. Went from 213 to 188 in about 5 weeks. Doesn't sound like much but I'm 6'2 to begin with and had very little to lose. It made me incredibly lean and, not to mention, it makes you feel awesome - tons of energy and my mood is way more upbeat.

It you search the paleo diet you can get several sites, all of which have information which is useful and none of which are trying to sell you anything. I would highly reccomend this, even if the only reason you're doing it is to lose a competition.

Back