2.5 gallons of dead space in a Blichmann?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
What the heck? I filled my 15 gallon mashtun and drained it, 2.5 gallons left! The pot was leveled side to side and front to back. The diptube was installed, as was the false bottom, what am I doing wrong? The website spec says .19 gallons.

What the heck? I filled my 15 gallon mashtun and drained it, 2.5 gallons left! The pot was leveled side to side and front to back. The diptube was installed, as was the false bottom, what am I doing wrong? The website spec says .19 gallons.

Sounds like the pickup tube isn't working correctly. Any chance it didn't seal all the way? What level was the fluid at wHen it stopped draining?

I had the same issue and realized I forgot to add a tube to the barb on the ball valve. After that it drained to the very bottom and didn't just stop at the hole for the ball valve.

Yeah you are dead on snail, you can gravity drain down to the level of the valve, but after that it needs to pull a siphon to get the rest out. If there was a hose on there it would have drained it down to about a quart or so left in the pot.

Ah, that makes sense, i'll try it with a hose connected. Thanks! I kinda thought once a pump was connected it would drain a lot more out.

That's what I don't like about diptube setups (including mine) if you lose the siphon right at the end, it's a pain in the ass to get it to drain completely.

Back