Hands down best fried zucchini

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpertskir

Reaction score
Obviously any fried food goes very well with beer. This is very simple, but HIGHLY sought after by my friends and family. I'm making it this weekend for a dinner party and thought I'd share.

Unfortunately, you need a piece of specialized equipment to make this, a mandoline.

This is a good, and relatively inexpensive option. You need not spend the 100 plus that some of them retail for.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=189319&catid=185823&aid=338666&aparam=goobase_filler

You could make this without the mandoline, but consistency of cuts is important, and you're going to make a lot of this, because its delicious, so its worth the investment. Also this will be useful for a number of other dishes, various kinds of vegetable gratins, french fries, basically anything that takes precision thin slices or julienne.

*****One more thing about the mandoline before I continue, USE THE GUARD, I don't care how much of a kitchen bad ass you think you are, this thing will maim your hands faster than anything else in the kitchen.

Ok, on with the rest.

Hardware
-Mandoline
-Dredging bowl
-colander and or cookie sheet with cookie rack
-paper towels
-electric skillet, any pan, especially cast iron will work. I just like the ease of temp control on electric skillet

Ingredients
Vegetable Oil
Zucchini
Wondra Flour
dcs-802b_1z.jpg

Kosher Salt
Parmesan Cheese
Lemon

1. Clean and slice zucchini on mandoline. I usually go for 1.5mm-3mm thickness
2. Arrange slices in single layer in colander. (for bigger batches I will also use a cookie sheet with a cookie rack set inside it)
3. Heavily salt slices, more than you think, most of it will be rinsed off later.
4. Let slices sit for 15 minutes or so. You will start to see moisture being pulled from zucchini and pooling on surface.
5. Rinse zucchini thoroughly.
6. Dry zucchini thoroughly with paper towels
7. Heat oil in skillet to 350-375 dg.
8. Dredge dry zucchini in wondra, and knock off excess. Even dry, there will be enough moisture to get a thin coating. Try not to let them sit around for too long with breading, prior to going if fryer
9. Fry until golden brown and delicious. This will happen quickly(1-3 min). Do not crowd the pan, and adjust temperature if they are browning too quickly or slowly.
10. Remove from oil, place on layers of paper towel and grate Parmesan cheese on them immediately(preferably reggiano)

I like them with a squeeze of lemon, if you want marinara obviously have that around. But most people who try them both ways stick with the lemon.

Enjoy, and be prepared to make it again in the near future

Back