Temp Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldogbrewhaus

Reaction score
With the onslought of winter I have come across a new problem. I rent the house I live in and I do not plan on staying next year. Problem is this: It is too hot upstairs (SWMBO=coldblooded), and of course it is too cold in the basement to ferment my normal ales. Solution=Brew alot of steam beer? Ambient temp in the basement averages about 58-60 deg. Any thoughts or input on a temporary solution. Cheers to all.

Also I do plan on building a ferm chamber but not until I move.

bulldogbrewhaus said:
With the onslought of winter I have come across a new problem. I rent the house I live in and I do not plan on staying next year. Problem is this: It is too hot upstairs (SWMBO=coldblooded), and of course it is too cold in the basement to ferment my normal ales. Solution=Brew alot of steam beer? Ambient temp in the basement averages about 58-60 deg. Any thoughts or input on a temporary solution. Cheers to all.

Also I do plan on building a ferm chamber but not until I move.

Get a temp controller and a brew belt or Ferm wrap or you can place the primary in a bucket of water like a swamp cooler but use a small aquarium heater to warm up the water

I saw those brew belts in the northern brewer catalog, pretty sweet. I might have to consider it but it is only for such a short period of time. I have a temp controlled keezer, which i mostly use as a beer fridge (esp. since its devoid of kegs due to said issues). I could easily use it to lager steam beer in, so i might go that route. I was just looking for some off the wall possibilities Thanks for the input.

Back