Bulk aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am trying to do some wine, specifically a Sangiovese kit, and since I have a spare carboy or 12, wanted to try bulk aging. I *think* that should happen after stabilization, etc., in the spot on the directions where bottling goes, but wanted to make sure, so I am asking here. Would that be correct? Thanks in advance for the help..

John

I would say that a wine kits instructions should be burnt while doing a ritual dance around the primary fermenter. Bulk ageing is simply a process of waiting and racking. After the primary is done, and after most of the sediment has dropped out in the secondry, a couple of different things can happen. (1) you put it on oak, and let it set in a the carboy for however long it takes to develop the oak flavor, rack it off, and let it set undisturbed, racking every 3-4 months until there is no sediment, then let set till you can't stand it any longer, or (2) Skip the oak, and do the above procedure with some other additive, or (3) perform (1) skipping the oak/additives all together.

I would skip the addition of the stabilizers, with exception of metabisulfite. Time will take care of the rest of it.

Thanks a bunch...and I shall, of course, have the pyre for the directions, but the dance?...I think not, with a pair of left feet and rhythm to match.

John

I regularly bulk age after the stablization phase. It keeps my itching fingers off the wine while it conditions! Just set yourself reminders to stabilize with kmeta!

Kit wine instructions. I have quite a few "packets" laying around that may get used someday on something but it is doubtful. Their instructions are so you can drink their wine in 4-8 weeks. I will generally only use the sulfite only on step one and skip the fining all together using time to clear my kits. Hell I don't even use the yeast included in the kit. After the secondary I will sulfite the wine again trying to maintain approximately 50ppm based on Ph and then rack to a carboy for extended bulk aging making sure to top up the carboy to within 1/2" of air lock. I love to personalize my wines to fit whatever I'm needing in my cellar 2 years from pitching yeast.

Thank you KBentley57 for the making me laugh. I can fully appreciate the ritual dance around the primary!

In case you haven't seen it yet, there is a great summary on 'extended instructions for making wines from kits' on Jack Keller's website. Doesn't go as far as requiring a dance, but helps get a solid result from the kits.

Thank you KBentley57 for the making me laugh. I can fully appreciate the ritual dance around the primary![/QUOTE]

I don't know how to "quote" so, all apologies, but. I have to laugh at the dance around the primary and both of your responses!

Back