Help with Fire Extinguisher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkstone

Reaction score
Alright, I was inspired by the various posts of some folks using a water extinguisher as a keg... so I bought one. They really don't seem much smaller than a 5 gallon corny since they are skinny it's almost as tall as a corny! Much cheaper than a 2.5 or 3 gallon corny though and it will serve it's purpose with portability. I am in the process of sanitizing the heck out of it.

I got the fitting with the barb for dispensing the beer, that seemed pretty straight forward. For those of you who have done this, or know how to, what do I do for the downspout and CO2 in? I've got some ideas, but I don't want to ruin anything getting it to work. All of the threads and sites I've seen on this are very helpful, but not as informative as I need. I'm hoping to be diligent enough to take pictures of everything as well.

Thanks!

On mine I removed the schrader valve and put in a 1/8mpt to 1/4 male flare fitting then added one of these

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/adapter-for-corny-plugs-1-4-ffl-x-19-32-18.html

then put a gas post from a junk corny keg on it. Now I can just hook the same gas line for my kegs to it to charge it up or force carb it, and to make it portable I have the charger with the disposable co2 catridges.

I also added a 0-30 PSI guage in place of the guage it came with.

The only real problem with using these as full time kegs and not as a party novelty, is the gas in and the siphon tube out share the same tube. if you leave gas pressure on it and try to dispense beer you get bad foaming. I charge it up to about 7 psi dispense a few then charge it back up with the disposable cartridges. But I never charge while pouring.

I had anticipated using a schrader valve CO2 charger on mine. I would think one or two CO2 bulbs would do the trick. The dip tube is stumping me though. I would like to replace the original with a smaller diameter stainless steel one but I'm not sure how to go about it. The gauge and schrader valve are "glued" in with what appears to be some kind of epoxy. Any ideas how to get them out without tearing up the threads?

I had anticipated using a schrader valve CO2 charger on mine. I would think one or two CO2 bulbs would do the trick. The dip tube is stumping me though. I would like to replace the original with a smaller diameter stainless steel one but I'm not sure how to go about it. The gauge and schrader valve are "glued" in with what appears to be some kind of epoxy. Any ideas how to get them out without tearing up the threads?

Is it epoxy or teflon paste? mine did have teflon paste on the threads but they popped lose easily, try putting a wrench on em and giving them a turn. If they don't pop loose fairly easily you can stop. I just used the gas post so the co2 charger I bought could be used with my 5 gallon kegs also.

As for the dip tube I just replaced mine with a new piece of poly tubing, mine was just crimp clamped on. I just cut the clamp off, and press fit a new piece on.

Definitely epoxy, it won't budge. So much for a low pressure gauge, at least for now. I replaced the dip tube with a smaller diameter stainless steel one. Replaced the spout with a barb and food grade tube. I'm gonna use a co2 charger so I don't have to replace the schrader valve, plus it will still be very portable that way. I can charge a pump or two whenever needed, much like a party tap.

New hardware

image-2453924027.jpg

I put water in it and pressurized with air (co2 charger is ordered, on it's way) and tested it out. Water pours out nice and gentle. I think it's gonna work out great. I'll update when I test it out with co2 and brew.

I didn't have a heating gun, but a propane torch did the trick. Heated it up and cranked on it, broke free. Thanks!

Where's the best place to acquire one of these tanks? I'd love to try my hand at this if I could find one for cheap or free.

I replaced the dip tube with a smaller diameter stainless steel one. Replaced the spout with a barb and food grade tube.

I'm currently doing the same thing to mine, curious what you used for a diptube? or did you just make one? and the barb's and connections, are they brass? or SS?

I found a 30" long 3/8" OD SS tube at the big box hardware store with all of the toilet stuff. I just cut what I needed. All other connections are brass.

No effects on the beer with using brass? i thought i read somewhere that using brass with beer is harmful....its ok pre-fermentation...but afterwards its harmful? maybe i'm wrong...:drunk:

There's ver little contact with the brass, so I'm not too concerned. Plus it will only be used for bbqs/camping type stuff, not an everyday thing. That's what my kegerator is for!

There's ver little contact with the brass, so I'm not too concerned. Plus it will only be used for bbqs/camping type stuff, not an everyday thing. That's what my kegerator is for!

yup, same here...just for outings and parties. Thanks for the help...hoping to get mine finished soon.

I added an old 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler and cut a hole in the lid. It needs to be refined a bit but here's the final product! It's an iced down 2 1/2 gallon party keg! Total cost was about $70... cheaper than a 2 1/2 corny alone and it's ready to go! I had a few parts lying around and got the cooler for $5, so overall cost will vary.

image-3044706649.jpg

Back