Yeast Subsitution help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing Jamils hazelnut Porter. It calls for White Labs WLP001 California Yeast Strain. My brew shop carries WYeast. I was thinkin London Ale yeast as a substitue. Any one have a better suggestion?

Here's the recipe. I'd like to keep as true to the original as possible. I've already varified the hops in stock.

10.00 lbs. Pale Malt - Crisp Marris Otte Great Britain 1.038 3
0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
1.50 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
0.50 lbs. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525
0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt - Light Great Britain 1.034 200

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.60 32.2 60 min.
0.70 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.70 4.1 15 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.60 0.0 0 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.70 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

If you want the correct substitution, its Wyeast 1056. If you want to change things up, use the London yeast. The 1056 will attenuate a little more than the London...

There's nothing to keep you from using the dry US-05 in there, as well. Chico yeast is known for being clean and attenuating quite well; it's not adding a lot of its own character, per se. I tend to use the US-05 in a lot of beers, and it works very well.

As noted above, Jamil Zainasheff has a Yeast Strain Comparison Chart that is quite handy. Both WLP001 and Wyeast 1056 are very clean fermenting California Ale yeasts, sometimes called the Chico strain, most likely derived from Sierra Nevada's house yeast.

The London Ale yeast you were considering would have made a great beer, but English yeasts tend to produce more fruity esters than American ale yeasts. Many attenuate a little less, too, producing a maltier beer. When trying to make a reasonable substitution look at the average attenuation and try to match that. Then look at the description of the closest matches and see if you can find one that matches your target yeast -- clean or fruity, mineraly, malty, whatever.

Chad

Back