Competition Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdsferraro

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about 5 years. I have always either kegged all or bottled all. I have entered my first competition with a Cherry Wit. I need to bottle a little and keg the rest. I want to naturally cabornate, so I do not lose carbonation waiting for the 2 week early turn in. How would you carbonate? I know when you naturally carbonate, you use less sugar in a keg than in bottles. Is there a happy medium to carbonate both?

Thanks,
Danny

This is what I do. I bulk prime the entire batch as though I'm bottling, bottle the few that I need, and put the rest in the keg. I then monitor the naturally carbing keg with a bleeder valve like this. At room temperature, I know that I don't need to let the pressure go over 30 psi in the keg and I'll have nicely carbed beer in a few weeks. I realize this is an additional cost for you if you don't have the valve, but I use it on every naturally carbed keg I use, and never overcarb. This may not help you in the short term, however.

Your other option is to get some of those carbonation drops and use those in your bottles, and force carb the rest in the keg.

Back