DME in a cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g_rath

Reaction score
I was just thinking about my next batches of cider and i was wondering if anyone has used DME instead of sugar. The thought to this was that the DME would replace the sugar for extra fermentables and would add nutrients for the yeast. But I was not sure if it would effect the flavor much. Any thoughts? And how much would one add? I haven’t had any problems with my last batches of cider, this is just more of an intellectual exercise. And maybe another experimental batch.

I have read posts where people have used DME instead of sugar replacing 1:1. It will be up to your individual tastes to determine if it is good but I have read that it is.

:tank:

Some where on this site is a hard lemonade recipe that essentially is a variation of Apfelwein.

The five gallon recipe uses 2# of sugar, and 1# of ultra light DME, and is said to taste great, plus...the ladies love it, too!

Pogo

Adding DME instead of sugar would make it a cyser or braggot (or something like that), instead of a cider, but it is an actual beverage that you can probably find a recipe for.

I've done this, IT was a dark and stormy night and I sort of doing a free experiment. I was trying to make apple ephimere from unibrau. so I had 5 gallons of fresh cider and three lbs of light DME i boiled 2 gallons of the cider and added the dme and 1oz of perle hops. did a one hour boil and cooled the wort, then added it to a fermenter along with the remaining 3 gallons of cider. I pitched whitelabs american ale yeast and waited.
four months later i got an amazing sour apple flavored beer or a beer flavored apple cider i dunno so you pick. anyway i made another batch recently and it was equally good but less tart, the first batch was like apple jolly rancher tart, myself and others really liked it but if you dont like sour stay away. also this is not a cyser or a braggot as both of those styles use honey, id say it is more a aplfewen. also watch the alcohol it has a punch.

apple ephimere from unibrau.
Just saw this for the first time in the store the other day, didnt know what It was but Unibrau has never done me wrong.
so I had 5 gallons of fresh cider and three lbs of light DME i boiled 2 gallons of the cider and added the dme and 1oz of perle hops. did a one hour boil and cooled the wort, then added it to a fermenter along with the remaining 3 gallons of cider. I pitched whitelabs american ale yeast and waited.
This sounds great I must try making this

Ephimere greatly dissapointed me. No where near on parr with the other beers by Unibroue that I have tried. Thats just me though.

Latest posts

Back