1 gallon mead with ale yeast (1056)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeyjack

Reaction score
I am going to be making a 1 gallon batch of mead to try it out. After listening to the brewradio pod cast I have decided to use 1056 ale yeast. With my ales I have to watch for blow off sometimes and need a blow off tube for a few days. If I make a 1 gallon batch in a 1 gallon carboy it will not leave very much room,

1. Does ale yeast put up as big a krauzen with must as it does with wort ?

2. Should I use a bigger fermenter similar to my beer ? such as a 2-3 gallon primary followed by the 1 gallon secondary for aging

It will be a traditional mead with OG of 1.090 to 1.100

Get a bucket food grade makes great primary....use it for 3 to 7 days then add to you carboy

As suggested above or mix the must to get all the relevant data (SG, maybe pH etc), then remove 1/4 of the must and reserve in a pop/soda bottle in the fridge. Pitch the yeast and stir at least once daily to aerate and help shift some of the dissolved CO2 then once you hit the 1/3rd break, it should be safe to add the rest of the must back in before air locking to finish....

I heard a similar podcast from basic brewing radio. They went to about 14% abv with 1056. They were talking about the citrus and floral qualities. It got me very excited. they theorized that the distinct esters that added to the character were from pushing the yeast past it's stated alcohol tolerence of 11%. They said they acomplished this by adding plenty of nutrients.

I use ale yeast in my cinders makes for a quick ferment and drinkable product in 7-10 days ....as for my Mead I like slow and steady 7-10 months lol

Back