Step up yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

layne00

Reaction score
Doing a second step on my yeast starter tonight and have a quick question for the more seasoned brewer (doing my first tomorrow). According to yeastcalc.com, I was needing to do a 800 ml second step which I boiled tonight. When I poured the cooled wort onto my yeast cake, the volume only came to 600 ml in the flask due to either boil off, miss measurement, or a small boil over I had. Should I pour some additional water on top to bring up my volume and lower the gravity to within the appropriate range or just leave in as is?
Much appreciated.

layne00 said:
Doing a second step on my yeast starter tonight and have a quick question for the more seasoned brewer (doing my first tomorrow). According to yeastcalc.com, I was needing to do a 800 ml second step which I boiled tonight. When I poured the cooled wort onto my yeast cake, the volume only came to 600 ml in the flask due to either boil off, miss measurement, or a small boil over I had. Should I pour some additional water on top to bring up my volume and lower the gravity to within the appropriate range or just leave in as is?
Much appreciated.

I'd leave it alone and not worry about it:)

Back