Leinenkugel's is really pushing the envelope...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Summer Shandy? Beer and lemonade? WTF?
Gotta hand it to the marketers ( I guess :rolleyes: ), But I doubt this one will fly for very long. I predict 100% failure. Shoulda quit while they were ahead with the Sunset Wheat. *shivers, yecchhh*

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Co. is rolling out a new seasonal brand that is a blend of beer, lemonade flavor and honey.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=581637

Problem is, they weren't ahead with Sunset Wheat. That **** is digusting. Fiddup says it tastes like Fuity Pebbles, and he's dead-nuts right! I don't even want to think about this other ****.

I think the Sunset Wheat is horrible, too- but it's still on tap on the bar we went to last night and a couple people in our group wanted to order a pitcher of it. I put the kibosh on that but there are people who are drinking it!

Beer and lemonade? That is one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard. I predict a big seller.

Yooper Chick said:
Beer and lemonade? That is one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard. I predict a big seller.

LOL your right! it will go over like gangbusters! At least for awhile. People like that wierd **** that's why Mike Hard and Zima and all that is, ar at least wa, so popular.

This has prompted me to write to Leinies. A while back I got a survey from them askign what beer they should unveil next, and I filled the whole thing out. In the suggestions box I told them to make a pale ale. In the future letter, I'm going to suggest they make something that actually uses hops in it. :rolleyes:

This fake crap is lame. They used to be a respectable brewery.

Well, one of their biggest sellers is "Berry Weiss". Have you ever had it???? It's like raspberry kool-aid with beer added. I can drink one, ice cold, after working hard outside in the summer, but that's it. It isn't a weiss beer with a hint of berries at all, which is what I expected.

Berry Weiss, Sunset Wheat, and now lemonade. They are going to be a joke among breweries, albeit a profitable one.

wow, dont knock it until you've tried it. Radlers are very popular in Germany, and very delicious i might add. These are cool refreshing drinks for the summer time, not uber-thick and malty stouts. SWMBO loves when I make Radler

It has been 12 years now since i have been in austira but i could swear that while in salzburg i had a beer and lemonade....................i remember it being not bad.

My friends and I do that all the time. They call it clara in Spain, which is where I learned about it. Fill a gallon jug with a splash of lemonade and a few pabsts & there's nothing more refreshing for a humid and hot summer after. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Funny that I despise fruit flavor in beer, but Radler (Pilsner or Helles mixed with Sprite) is a summer favorite of mine.

Kai

The Chancery restaurants in Southeastern WI have been selling a similar drink for a while, they call it a 'Strip and Go Naked'. Lemonade and Beer.
Nearly blew beer out my nose when I heard my Mother In Law order one.

This fake crap is lame. They used to be a respectable brewery.

That was untill they got bought out by miller, and everything went to $h*T. I hate the big three. Always having to impeed on anything good. They should just stick to making crap beer.:drunk:

SWMBO bought some berry weiss at Riverfest in Milwaukee two years ago and she really liked it--I however did not.

:off: Riverfest in Milwaukee rocks. :rockin:

Toot said:
Don't the Brits call it a shandy or something like that?

Yeah and so does Leinie's. :confused: See the very first sentence of my original post.

Paperface said:
wow, dont knock it until you've tried it. Radlers are very popular in Germany, and very delicious i might add. These are cool refreshing drinks for the summer time, not uber-thick and malty stouts. SWMBO loves when I make Radler

rOland said:
Don't knock it until you've tried it.

My argument isn't against a shandy or a radler, it is against Leinies becoming a pantywaist brewery. They used to be respectable--but now half of the lineup is fruit beers. Half of the lineup is pretty sad. I doubt it has anything to do with strong-arming from SAB Miller either.
I still say this shandy sh!te is going to be a huge swing and a miss.

Dude said:
I doubt it has anything to do with strong-arming from SAB Miller either.

You realize that thier brewery in Milwaukee is only like 5 minutes from SAB Millers HQ right? If ya leave downtown on I-43 NB it's just off to the right after the old Pabst Brewery complex

Pumbaa said:
You realize that thier brewery in Milwaukee is only like 5 minutes from SAB Millers HQ right? If ya leave downtown on I-43 NB it's just off to the right after the old Pabst Brewery complex

Yes...what I'm saying is I doubt it is SAB MIller that is MAKING Leinies come up with this newfangled foofoo stuff. I think it is a Jake Leinenkugel brain child.

FWIW, only certain Leinies beers are brewed in Milwaukee. The 4 highest sellers are brewed there to help with production.

One good thing about Leinie's being owned by Miller is that you can get leinie's stuff at Miller Park and have a decent beer at a Brewer game.......

SWMBO tried the Summer Shandy at the Milwaukee Admiral's game the other day. Her review was that it would be a good alternative to drink at Summerfest along with her Lakefront Belgian Wit. She also said she wouldn't be able to drink more than two, too sweet. I tried a sip...not bad for what it is. Just don't think of it as a beer, it's a beer based mixed drink.

I attended UWEC from 87-92. Leinenkugel's used to be awsome. I can remember buying 1/2 barrels of bock in the spring. You would pull a tap and the head was so thick you could stand a pencil upright in a glass without it falling to the side.

BMC ruined another good product. Just like Celis.

I had one of these comma it's not good but it's not overwhelming. It's the lightest weis beer plus some lemonade. Had it on a cold day but in the summer it's might be nice. At least it had flavor comma thats all I really want in a beer. If it has flavor than at worst it's a decent beer IMO. Now berry wies on tap is good stuff. Bottled it's bad. Sunset is Leinie's take on bluemoon but they did it over the top. Some of my friends "don't drink beer" but they will drink lienies comma I wonder why?;)

Edit: Pumbaa and I tried the Lienies IPA at the landmark a couple weeks ago.

Back