Pairing Simcoe with Chinook Hops - any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
I have yet to try either and should probably brew some beers with one or the other to learn the characteristics but I'm considering brewing up a pale ale or an IPA and using both Chinook and Simcoe.

Just curious if anyone has brewed this combo and what flavors you thought or think it would bring out?

sounds tasty to me. simcoe is a super potent aroma hop, so you will probably get more of that in the nose/flavor, but i bet it would pair real nice with chinook. simcoe is very unique, but it can kinda go in a lot of scent directions depending on what you pair it with. citrus if you pair it with centennial/cascade/amarillo, more pine i would guess paired with chinook, maybe a little floral mixed in there. simcoe is a great hop. i know some people don't like it, but it's one of my favorites.

cool thanks. Both have strong high AAs/bittering characteristics so I was thinking about going with an oz of chinook for 60 mins, then an oz of simcoe at around 10 minutes and then dry hopping an oz of simcoe as well.

Well it seems to work well in Pliny the Elder so I think it should be ok =P

The clone recipe supposedly from Vinnie himself has both Chinook and Simcoe along with a few others.

What I came up with:

10.5 lbs 2 row
1 lb crystal 20
.5 lbs carapils
.5 lbs caramunich

1 oz Columbus FWH
1 oz Chinook 10 mins
1 oz Simcoe Flame out

1 oz Simcoe Dry Hop

Should be around 64 IBUs and 6.3% alc
This will be my first taste of any of these 3 hops, I must say I'm pretty pumped!

Well? Should be ready around now right? I'm interested in how it turned out since I'm thinking of brewing something similar....

Curious as to what you guys that brewed with Simcoe and Chinook thought. Too much pine?
It was suggested to me to move my Chinook additions more towards the bittering.
4 1/2 gal yield with 67 IBU's
1/2 oz Cascade, 1/2 oz Centennial, 1/2 oz Chinook @ 60 mins
1/2 oz Centennial, 1/5 oz Chinook @ 15 mins
1/2 oz Centennial, 1/5 oz Chinook @ 5 mins
1/2 oz Centennial, 1/10 oz Chinook 10 day dry hop

At first it was very Rangerish minus the grapefruit. Now it's turning out to be fairly piney. But it's an odd piney.
I had begun making a new recipe with the Centennial, Simcoe, Chinook, and Columbus hops I now have, but am holding on a bit before I jump into what I was considering doing (1 part each of Centennial, Simcoe, and Chinook) as I fear it may be too much.

I have a chinook ipa in primary know, this will be my first experience with them - if I like, it'll be good know of some other combos if that works out for you

All Chinook? Have you tried it yet? Let me know what you think of it.

I brewed an IPA with Simcoe Chinook and Citra. Last weekend I can't wait for it to get done, it smelled so nice.
My schedule was.

60min 1oz Simcoe
20min 1oz Simcoe
15min .5oz Chinook, .5oz Citra
10min 1oz Chinook, 1oz Citra
5min 1oz Chinook, 1oz Citra
Flame Out 1oz Chinook, 1oz Citra

All Chinook? Have you tried it yet? Let me know what you think of it.

Noted, I'm going to dry hop next week, then bottle, so I have some time yet. But I will follow up on how it turns out (it's northern's chinook ipa kit)

Brewed an APA with these two:
90min .5 Chinook
15min .5 Simcoe
Flameout 3 oz. Chinook
Dry hop .5 Simcoe

Came out very nice Grapefruit on the nose, piney lingering bitterness with some citrus/grapefruit

Back