My kegerator build... frankin mini fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky_Chicken

Reaction score
So in my searching to find ideas for a kegerator i didnt come up with much in the way of tearing the guts out of an existing except for a fermentation chamber... i figured if it could work for that why not to keep my beer cold?... here is how it went.

watch out... those pieces are sharp!
DSCF3134.jpg

DSCF3138.jpg

got the frame done
DSCF3146.jpg

insulation added
DSCF3149.jpg

covered and sealed
DSCF3175.jpg

trimmed the top
DSCF3176.jpg

pulling the first pint (Spring Chicken APA)
keggedbeernumberone-1.jpg

*Edit*
holds 4 corny's, but i only have 2 taps right now. The CO2 (that i insulated from the heat with leftover pieces of the foamboard) sits under the compressor, and has room in that compartment for a spare if i decide i have extra money and dont want anything else for brewing... not that that will happen anytime soon!

That's pretty bad ass! Nice job!

But what's the deal with the flexible copper tubing covered in what looks like drywall mud?!

But what's the deal with the flexible copper tubing covered in what looks like drywall mud?!

The thing that's solid white is the expansion coil and the randomly shaped copper tubing is the condenser coil (which kinda looks like it's got some foam bits on it)...

Cheers!

that is the hot side coils that came from inside the foam... they have pieces of aluminum tape attached to give them more surface area and to help them disperse heat. The bottom is open (other than the casters) and I put a vent on that side so I could get rid of some of the heat. Seems to work pretty well you can feel a warm breeze comming out of the vent.

Next project (before this winter) will be one of those aquarium controllers so i can keep it from freezing in my shop!

Nice build! I'm thinking of doing the same thing. If you had it inside the house would it maintain the right temp?

it remains the right temp outside so yes... it should just run less and probably have less condensation since the humidity will be controlled by the AC/ furnace in the house.

winter update... the 100W light bulb is probably overkill in the kegerator for heating. I was out there today when it turned on... it was on for about 20 seconds then it was up to temp and off again, when it burns out i may replace it with a 60W.

subbed... I'm not too happy with my 7cf deep freezer, but I'm sure it's condenser is powerful enough to cool a 10-12cf homemade kegerator to tap/lager temps.

Lucky Chicken, that's an awesome build. Very professional. I use the SCT-1000 and a ceramic heater http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3876121&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No as a fermentation chamber. The 60 watt heater is $37 but it has been running 3 weeks out of every 4 for at about a year. More expensive that a lite bulb but gives off no light. The less expensive ceramic heaters burn out quickly. Ask me how I know.

Again an awesome build. Too good for the garage though, should be in the house.

Latest posts

Back